Cheap Dried Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
hi ,guys,i can buy dark dried malt extract for $60 for 15 kg,this seems pretty cheap so any ideas what sort of kit beers i can add this too instead of paying $10 KG FOR IT in small packs. would idealy like the light dried malt but at the moment the dark is the only one available,trying to source the light one at the moment, i work in a butcher shop and one of our travellers sells it.
cheers
fergi

I've made a few good brews using DDME with the Beermakers Old kit and about 300g or a little more of choc malt, just chuck some chinook in for flavour and a little bittering and maybe some fuggles or chinook again for aroma (I love chinook :beerbang: ), Safale US-05 at 18 deg. Will be a while before I brew these again cause we're comin into the hot weather and i'm focusing on the amber and pale ales now, but I still have about 4 batches of similar brews sitting around and I doubt they will still be there next winter ;)

Would probably go well in Aussie Olds - is there a tradition of olds in S.A.? I would maybe go two kg of dark, one kg of light (or a cheap mild beer kit or even a Coopers Lager which is actually an ale), some steeped medium crystal malt for flavour rather than colour and a nice Aussie hop like Pride of Ringwood.

And a good ale yeast like S04 or Nottingham.

I should imagine that most of the dried malt extract around is actually for baking as opposed to home brewing, we sort of came in on the 'coat tails' of an existing malting industry. So presumably there's heaps of light out there if you know where to get it. What brand is it, Wander?

Where did you get this cheap extract?

ok guyswell thanks for the ideas, if you live in adelaide drop down to master butchers ltd on churchill road,being a butcher i quizzed their sales rep while he was in the shop, the dark malt is all they stock at the moment. another mate of mine who works with me makes spirits,""er i mean he distills his own water''HE BUYS 25 KG DEXTROSE FOR $25 from the same place
cheers
fergi

ok guyswell thanks for the ideas, if you live in adelaide drop down to master butchers ltd on churchill road,being a butcher i quizzed their sales rep while he was in the shop, the dark malt is all they stock at the moment. another mate of mine who works with me makes spirits,""er i mean he distills his own water''HE BUYS 25 KG DEXTROSE FOR $25 from the same place
cheers
fergi

I know of the place. My sister lives down the side street there

Good price mate

I did a bit of a 'clean out' brew with some dark dry extract.

I know it shouldn't have worked, but ended up a really enjoyable beer.

dark extract, cascade hops, S-04 yeast, dry hopped with cascade.(from memory)

a winner.

for me.

Kev

I did a bit of a 'clean out' brew with some dark dry extract.

Funny, I did the same....can't for the life of me remember what went in it exactly, but have a feeling it was EKG and even some vanilla.....it was a damn fine beer, but have never tried to replicate it.

But at that price, you'd me mad to pass it up. Porters, stouts, browns.....mmmm

Pretty good deal. The only other place that sells it in bulk is grain and grape in Victoria.

I know of the place. My sister lives down the side street there

Good price mate

Hi Fergi,
Thanks for the tip on the dry dark malt.
I am looking also for a cheap supplier of light malt (sprayed). Anyone...????
You can get light malt extract (liquid) wholesale at Inpac Foods in Royal Park SA.
As for recipes try ROASTED BARLEY (cold steeps perfectly) in your dark beers it imparts (very cheaply) the wonderful flavour in Toohey's Old/Southwark Old Stout/James Suire Porter.
Cheers
Priddo

Back