Cheap Cider Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick8882003

Reaction score
I have developed a taste for the ciders, specifically the sweet versions.

Does anyone have a good recipe for cider. I looked at some of the Brewcraft versions, but they are like 40-50 bucks for a brew.

I am thinking if I can source some cheap apple juice I can make it for much less than that.

Any hints?

Cheers Mick C

I made some recently with some preservative free supermarket apple juice and munton's gold yeast and it is quite nice!

It was just a 12L batch

EDIT: be warned though, this yeast left quite a dry cider. if you're after a sweeter version, look at the cider yeast comparison someone did on home brew talk recently (search these forums for the link)

Here's a good thread for Cider experiments with yeasts and sugar

Northern Brewer Forums

Cider4.jpg

33 batches !? Makes me wonder why they would buy an airlock for each bottle, I'd just drill a hole in the lid and cover with micropore tape.

You can often find (clear) apple juice for around $1 a litre, so keep your eyes open at the supermarket. Go for the preservative-free varieties.

OR buy a juicer ! Home-Made cloudy would be a great cider base I reckon.

Aldi normally has apple juice for under $2 for 2 litres. I've made a very nice cider using 22 litres of apple juice, yeast nutrient and S04 yeast.

If you're after something a little sweeter you could probably swap about 5 litres of apple juice for pear juice. Pear juice seems to make it a little sweeter. You could also try using lactose, which supposedly make it sweeter. I've never tried this tho.

I have developed a taste for the ciders, specifically the sweet versions.

Does anyone have a good recipe for cider. I looked at some of the Brewcraft versions, but they are like 40-50 bucks for a brew.

I am thinking if I can source some cheap apple juice I can make it for much less than that.

Any hints?

Cheers Mick C

hi, a blackrock cider kit is good one to me. i always have a good result with it.

cheers
alan

Nope, never had a problem in the past with NB. They recently upgraded their forums if that could trigger anything...

Back