Centennial Hopping Schedule

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boriskane

Reaction score
so i bumped my post to a new thread from the 20L BIAB lager one.

so my brewday has been postponed until tomorrow morning, damn work and uni has got my ticket. but it also reminded me that i should ask about a hopping schedule for this recipe:

3kg BB Ale Malt
0.700kg JW Munich Malt
0.300kg Caramalt (leftovers)
US05

ive got 100g of centennial (9.2%) and 10g of cascade (5.7%)

i plugged some figures into Brew Calculus and it gave me 38.5 IBU which is a around what i want (35-40). so does this sound like it would taste good?:

25g Centennial @60
20g Centennial @20
15g Centennial @10
10g Cascade @5
20g Centennial (DRY HOP SECONDARY FERMENTER)

cheers

boris

so i bumped my post to a new thread from the 20L BIAB lager one.

so my brewday has been postponed until tomorrow morning, damn work and uni has got my ticket. but it also reminded me that i should ask about a hopping schedule for this recipe:

3kg BB Ale Malt
0.700kg JW Munich Malt
0.300kg Caramalt (leftovers)
US05

ive got 100g of centennial (9.2%) and 10g of cascade (5.7%)

i plugged some figures into Brew Calculus and it gave me 38.5 IBU which is a around what i want (35-40). so does this sound like it would taste good?:

25g Centennial @60
20g Centennial @20
15g Centennial @10
10g Cascade @5

cheers

boris

yum, very smooth bittering hop too

i'd drop the dry hops and add them as flameout additions instead for my tastes

What's your calculated OG on that? Around 1.050?

I'm guessing your going for an easy drinking APA?

A lighter APA doesn't really need dry hopping in my opinion as long as there is a decent wack of last minute/flameout hops. So i agree with Burkie.

Either way I'm sure it'll be just fine. I love Centennial.

This hop sched looks great if you are looking for a nice hop forward beer, I would leave the dry hops but thats my opinion. I dry hop my american brown 40L batch with 80g Centennial :icon_drool2:

Also you could bring some more of the centenial forward to the 10min addition if you really want a hoppy beer.

Goodluck
Kleiny

To buck the trend of the advice above, I'd definately stick with the dry hopping - Exactly what an apa needs in my book. & centeenial is a great choice.

cheers Ross

thanks for all the replies. great to see that the centennial is well loved

@brenos
yeah OG approx 1050 is desired

curious how a few of you dont recommend dry hopping for this recipe, any particular reason?

also, ive got that 10g of cascade, is that the best place to throw that in?

The centennial will totally swamp the cascade, you may as well not bother with it.

-BD

I tend to agree with Browndog - I did an APA with centennial mostly and a bit more cascade late boil than you have here, and the cascade really didn't come up at all. Used some centennial late boil too and the centennial flavour swamped it.

Maybe try using all your cascade in dry hop and lose the centennial dry hop addition if you are wanting a slight hit of cascade on the finish of your drink. Or keep it simple and don't use the cascade.

I find with centennial on the beers I've used it for that the 'orange flavour' really pops out. Yet to figure out why it's referred to as super-cascade. Doesn't have that piney thing that cascade has.

Hopper.

cheers browndog and hopping, ill leave the cascade out, i only had 10g of the stuff so ill save it up for when i get some more

think ill give dry hopping a crack as ive never done it before, and previous brews have been lacking in aroma when i late addition.

but ill up the 10min addition as suggested.

25g Centennial @60
20g Centennial @20
20g Centennial @10
5g Centennial @5

that should give me ~38 which is around what i was looking for. good to know i was on track as well, bodes well for future brews.

cheers for all that, now i look forward to smelling some wort and getting sucked into AG for the rest of my life beginning tomorrow morning!

hopefully i remember to take photos and maybe i can get a play-by-play going on here.

:icon_cheers:

boris

i posted a similar hop schedule in an extract brew on db
is a very nice bittering hop as well as a great mix for late along with cascade.

Latest posts

Back