Centenarillo ale recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alimac23

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I made the centenarillo ale a while back and it was a good drop, I want to make it again but I also want to use some LME that I already have.

The recipe calls for 3kg light LME but I've got one tin of ultra light and a tin of amber, do you think I'd still get comparable results using these?

No, but give it a crack anyway.
Try the extarct spreadsheet to see what result you will get.

Why not? I reckon it'll be 'comparable' for sure. The recipe has what, 100 grams of late hops in it? I reckon that'll overpower any extra malt flavour you'll get out of a tin of amber. If you were trying to blend a tin of dark LME I'd say no way, but Amber should be fine, especially blended with an ultra light.

Briess' website says this about their Amber LME: "Use in the production of Pale Ales, Red and Amber Ales, Munich Style Beers, Bock and Oktoberfest Beers". Their description for both Pilsen light (ultra light) and Golden light (light) says it can be used for "All styles of extract beer,"

I say go for it, and let us know how it turns out...

Thanks guys ill give it a shot, just waiting for my hops to arrive and ill get this one in the fermenter.

So i'm still waiting for my hops to arrive.....

Very unhappy with the online vendor!

I'll put this one on when / if they finally arrive.

You'll get a different outcome (taste/colour/smell) using a different malt profile. But that's not to say that it'll be bad: it'll probably be quite good. Give it a go. See how it tastes. You'll learn a lot comparing the two brews. Enjoy.

+1 for give it a go.

Much more fun making your own recipe though starting with someone elses basic recipe as you have done
and tweaking it in your own way is the best way to start. Soon you'll be making it up from scratch yourself. You might even find you get a 'better' beer than the original. I use quotes as 'better' is in the eye of the drinker!

I have found in my experience that Amber liquid malt doesn't impart as much flavour as you seem to expect, more of a change in colour. Having written that watch someone else disagree, and that's fine. I have made plenty of batches where I put the wrong can in ( light instead of amber or amber instead of light ) and they all turned out great.

When I first started brewing I made a pale ale that had very little hop or malt character, and the only flavour was the tin of amber LME. It was a very subtle taste that was quite nice, ended up making plenty of batches of it and visitors loved it.

If you find you like the amber flavours try steeping in 500g of amber grain. It's hard to find, I use an on-line HBS as my local doesn't stock it. 500g of grain produces more flavour than a whole can of LME in my opinion, or if you are a bit scared of grain, add a can of Muntons Yorkshire Bitter instead. A lot more money, but far better flavour than amber malt.

I agree Robbo, amber malt extract is generally just run of the mill (boom boom) ale malt (malted barley) with some crystal mashed with it for extra colour, before it's evaporated. Light extract is usually the same stuff but without the crystal. So they're easily subbed in pale ale style recipes.

Dark extract is roasted before evap, giving a very different flavour.

Thanks guys that's some good advice, i'll go with the amber and the ultralight and see what comes out the other end.

Just to clarify, the online vendor that failed miserably with delivering the hops and ended up in a paypal dispute and a refund WASN'T hopdealz, i need to place an order with those guys as i've heard some great stuff about them!

Latest posts

Back