Cellaring/storing Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
Hi All,

fairly new to the kegging side of things so bear with me....

once i've racked and burped the keg can i cellar it without any attention?

i find that the burping co2 is absorbed into the beer after a while, do i need to re-burp or can i assume anything in the headspace of the keg is ok?

i'd like to ramp up my brewing and get quite a few kegs ready for parties coming up.... having to re-burp could be a pita as the cellar and my co2 are a fair distance apart.

cheers

are you priming or force carbing them?

You'll be fine to cellar them. If the keg itself seals well you'd be fine to store for ages.

Agree with Pennywise. As long as you burped them well to being with it'll be fine.

Alternatively, naturally carbonating the kegs is possibly something looking into and you can treat it like a bottled beer. Let it carb up and then store in a cool dark place. Just chill before serving. Note, the ratio of sugar to carb a keg is less than bottling. I use Ianh's spreadsheet to calculate.

Be vigilant mixing CO2 & cellars also.

I presume the cellar has good air ventilation.

Be vigilant mixing CO2 & cellars also.

I presume the cellar has good air ventilation.

yeah i won't be dispensing any co2 in any hole in the ground! i like to climb back out of them again!

thanks for the replies

I daren't crack a brew below the floorboards lest escaping gas consumes my very lungs.

Hi All,

fairly new to the kegging side of things so bear with me....

once i've racked and burped the keg can i cellar it without any attention?

i find that the burping co2 is absorbed into the beer after a while, do i need to re-burp or can i assume anything in the headspace of the keg is ok?

i'd like to ramp up my brewing and get quite a few kegs ready for parties coming up.... having to re-burp could be a pita as the cellar and my co2 are a fair distance apart.

cheers

Hey there, gotta love kegging haven't you!

I have 2 kegs in the fridge force carbed and ready to drink at all times, and then I have another 2 kegs sitting outside the fridge patiently waiting their turn...so in effect 4 kegs.

The 2 outside at room temp, I have burped and just let them sit. A keg is like a big bottle if it seals OK, and the benefit of leaving them out is that they will still mature and clear. You wont have to burp them again, as even if they absord the CO2 in the head space, the kegs are pressure sealed and the best thing that might happen is that your residual yeast will actually continue to attenuate leaving you with a cleaner, clearer and brighter beer than the ones in the fridge.

When you want, put them into the fridge and force carb to desired pressure and I am sure you will be impressed with what a couple of weeks or even months in the keg at a nice even room temp will do!
Bubba

Alternatively, naturally carbonating the kegs is possibly something looking into and you can treat it like a bottled beer. Let it carb up and then store in a cool dark place. Just chill before serving. Note, the ratio of sugar to carb a keg is less than bottling. I use Ianh's spreadsheet to calculate.

Just interested to know if you have any sediment issues with naturally carbing a keg?

i also naturally carb, the only sediment i get is the first pint and the last. everything else is clear.

Ok so having beer sit in the keg with CO2 in headspace will age and clear beer? Does moving it around then recreate the murkiness?? The reason I ask is I have 6 kegs filled and they have been that way for a week now and I plan to crack them on Sat night ( yes all ) as they are for a 40th!! The beer is beingpuyin workfridge tommorrow to chill down for Sat.. Is this a good idea considering work fridge is abot 40km away from home??? I am sure they are safe from people drinking them!!!

I have been aging kegged beer for around 3 days before drinking (and loving it btw) but now curious as to how long before they become crystal clear as well??

How good is beer??

ok ive just moved one keg from the front of the house, where my brewery and storage is, to the back, where my fridge is.
all i did was pull a glass off in the front room to remove all the sediment, not that i get a lot anyway.

Back