Catch Up Brew @ Room Temp 28c

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblythongs

Reaction score
Hey I've got a 450ltr fermenting fridge that can only hold 2x 25ltr fermenters at 1 time. I wanna do a 3rd at room temp to catch up as the taps are slightly running dry.

I have a basic AG pale ale cubed no chilled style IBU 40, SRM 4.6 A packet of T58 and a packet of Rosco special American Ale yeast AKA 1056.

My place is around 28c this time of year. Is it worth doing a run or better wait. If ok what would be the best high temp yeast to use for this style beer.

Tia and cheers.
Dave.

id wait the fusel alcohols aret worth it.

Saison!! I kegged up half of a double batch of Tony's LCBA the other night using Wyeast French Saison. I only have room for 1 batch in my ice box fermenter (US05 in that one). It sat a bit high at around 27', but I'm interested to see how it goes. Maybe try Belgian Saison 3724 and let it ride the temps!
Cheers, John.

get another fridge. look out on ebay or gumtree or something. for my 2 fridges and 1 chest freezer all up only cost me $80 and then 3 temp controllers $90, so only cost $170 plus few bits pieces to make the temp controllers and collar for freezer. I can now brew 3 fermenters at once and have 4 kegs cold which is priceless :p

Ahhh the penny has finally dropped (I'm new at this). Now I know what Winkle and friends where always talking about making Saison.
I thought they just liked making scented candles and other funny stuff when I googled it and left it at that.

but doesnt a saison take a month to ferment out? making the point of the matter useless? I have never done one myself but sure tony said one day they take ages to finish off.

Don't ruin an APA, either chill or wait for the temps to drop. Doing an APA at 28 deg with 56 will kill it. :beerbang:

get another fridge. look out on ebay or gumtree or something. for my 2 fridges and 1 chest freezer all up only cost me $80 and then 3 temp controllers $90, so only cost $170 plus few bits pieces to make the temp controllers and collar for freezer. I can now brew 3 fermenters at once and have 4 kegs cold which is priceless :p
Your power bill :blink: :blink: :blink: ???.
I want to draw the line at 1 for food 1 for fermenting 1 for beer.

Not that I have priced it but anything higher aircon cold room with a few friends would look like.............................. to much and doing my head in.

but doesnt a saison take a month to ferment out? making the point of the matter useless? I have never done one myself but sure tony said one day they take ages to finish off.

This is a good point. The Belgian strain can take a few weeks, however the French Saison I just kegged fermented out to 1002 in 2 weeks.

Ferment it with Belgian Saison and instead of waiting 2 weeks for the last 25% of the OG to fall, add some 1056 or other neutral ale yeast once it slows down... will finish it off fast and you'll still have the flavour from the saison yeast anyway (most of the flavour comes in the first 2-3 days of fermentation with any yeast)

Before anything else I'd be looking to ferment a couple in either a Willow jerry can or even a square cube, you may well be be able to fit four in that fridge, particularly with film instead of an airlock- that will help rearrange the shelving. An unregulated ferment at this time of year could be just murderous...

I let one brew get away on me to 28 deg. The morning after I got in on tap I had a shocking headache. Never had one from my own brews before. Spent the rest of that day in bed and the next day went and bought a fermenting fridge. Nary a headache since.

I've made ciders without temp control. Seems to impart an apple flavour :)

So maybe a nice cider to 'fill the gaps'?

How long have the two been in the fermenting fridge?

If I am running low I change mine out after about a week - take the one that has been fermenting in the fridge for about a week and let it finish off at room temps, and put a new one in the fridge. I know its not ideal but I figure that most of the bad shit is going to happen in the first week which I am controlling the temperature.

note - thats ales I'm talking

How long have the two been in the fermenting fridge?

If I am running low I change mine out after about a week - take the one that has been fermenting in the fridge for about a week and let it finish off at room temps, and put a new one in the fridge. I know its not ideal but I figure that most of the bad shit is going to happen in the first week which I am controlling the temperature.

note - thats ales I'm talking

This is how I do it, I haven't noticed any ill effects. Currently have an ESB sitting at room temp in the lounge room, but it was temp controlled for the first week, where most of the action is.

Biere de Garde. No fusels at 32C.

Last one I threw in so much Citra dry that it's like opening a pack of Starburst and sniffing. Then when you sip the Centenial tells your tongue to snap out of it.

Oh yeah.

Biere de Garde. No fusels at 32C.

wikipedia says..

These beers were usually brewed in farmhouses during the winter and spring, to avoid unpredictable problems with the yeast during the summertime.

what yeast are you talking about?

Latest posts

Back