Cat Got Your Tongue ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jase71

Out of Order
Reaction score
Having returned on Tuesday from a three week jaunt in Laos & Malaysia, it seems that there's been some controversy betwixt one of our community's favorite sons & one of our well-spoken antagonists. I'm sure many of you got the PM from the former, which included the now-deleted ultimatum. Yet it also appears that it went a step further, if the public announcement is anything to go by. Damn I wish I was privy to that one :)

The bleed-through effect seems to be that everyone is being very careful about their comments, and keeping it strictly & conservatively on-topic, or at least not stirring the pot in any way. Are people frightened of the heavy hand that may come down upon them if they speak out of line ? I would hope that this community has not become one of fear. Unless the 'business' of AHB has been handed over to the Chinese Government, we should expect that moderation has not become an iron-fisted affair. Whilst a small few of my posts have been deleted in the name of communal decorum, AHB is generally not such a Totalitarian entity in which you should all be fearful based upon recent events. Sure, I'm very anti-censorship, but I will reluctantly maintain that most moderation is dealt with a fair hand. I cannot, however, comment either way on the hand that was dealt in the last few days, for I was not around to see the implicit statements.

So c'mon, you buggers, where's the off-topic jesting, the reinforcement of that Aussie camaraderie. By all means it's a beer forum, but bloody hell, these past few days since my return makes me feel that I'm reading threads from a Christian Brothers book of sensible rulings.

I feel the power of capitalism won the day Jase. <_<

FFS lets (meaning Admin) get rid of the BIG YELLOW BANNER up the top huh? I think we've got it by now!

Agree totally Jase but have no idea what you are talking about ;)

It is what it is...

Lets just move on through this and see if said issue's resolve... hopefully by means of said issue-er returning to grace us once more....

:huh:

How can you agree so wholehearedly with something that you have no idea of ? Or are we playing the denial game ?

Beware of charming types in flowing robes.

And I'd hoped you and your pointless shit-stirring ways had just vanished off the map from here.....

I don't mind a bit of off topic jesting.

What have you got when you have a bunch of 'I can't believe its not butter' supporters up to there necks in concrete?

Not enough concrete ;) :lol:

I don't mind a bit of off topic jesting.

What have you got when you have a bunch of 'I can't believe its not butter' supporters up to there necks in concrete?

Not enough concrete ;) :lol:

I can`t believe you would say that about a fellow South Australian!
Anyway, get out the flags and banners.
Dust off the welcome mat.
Assemble the band, and rehearse "Hail To The Chief"
Polish up The Key To The City.

Just a couple more days and he`ll be out of jail.

Regrettably jayse, it would preferred if you didn`t make the "Welcome Home" speech. :lol:

stagga.

I have no idea who said what to whom and frankly don't give a damn. Do the crime, do the time.

But I do quite enjoy the AHB site and would feel pissed off if it degenerated into a chaotic shambles like quite a few similiar types of posting forums. The mods under the guidelines set by Dane & Doc do a brilliant and at times thankless task to ensure this site maitains its INTEGRITY. Sure, their decisions are subjective to human perceptions, but frankly, I think it as near to perfect a system as you can have with this type of subject.

Keep up the good work boys.

Lastly, I like a forum where friendly banter is welcome (done enough of that myself) but it should not be at the expense of the goals and ideals of the AHB creators. If you don't like someone's house, leave without shitting in it.

I can`t say I`ve noticed any difference in the volume or content of the posts lately.
Forums are a funny tribe of fish, specially beer forums, what was popular on the day is discarded and forgotten about the next.
You didn`t mean that post to be a gee up, did you? :lol:
You won`t get much of a result if you did, with the "off topic" thread buried down here.
It`s like Siberia, everyone knows where it is, but no one wants to go there :D

stagga.

You didn`t mean that post to be a gee up, did you? :lol:

*gasp* I'm shocked that you would suggest such a thing. That doesn't sound like me at all, especially for a Friday night. :p

It was actually a test to see if Pollux had developed a sense of humour in my absence. Ah well, we need to live in hope, eh....

Jase71: If you support a censorship-free forum, piss off and find one!

yes, sorry j71
I don`t know what possessed me to make such an outlandish statement :(

stagga.

The bleed-through effect seems to be that everyone is being very careful about their comments, and keeping it strictly & conservatively on-topic, or at least not stirring the pot in any way. Are people frightened of the heavy hand that may come down upon them if they speak out of line ?
I for one think that the forum, while the changes have been minimal, has been a little more focussed of late. Ironically, this isn't because someone who is currently absent was spouting nonsense, but rather the nonsense spouted by others in jest for this person has decreased. While I'm all for fun and games on a forum - and there are plenty of places that such things are still continuing - I don't think it's particularly beneficial for new members to be greeted with the advice "use the butters' kitten method", which makes absolutely no sense unless you happen to know the origin of the joke itself. Even then it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Since we're airing opinions, I agree to some extent that the yellow banner is unneccesary. What happened did so between two parties, and the mods. It should really be none of our business. The fact that explanations were provided by the mods should probably be seen as positive - that the mods felt part enough of a community that they felt the need to share.

I've still seen threads wander off topic. I've still seen silly stuff. But the forum is largely about beer, and a lot of good discussions have been had. I only hope that once a certain member returns the forum remains talking about what that member is great at - making better beer.

My $0.02, nothing more. Posted knowing full well that this thread is overdue for the trash.

Jase71: If you support a censorship-free forum, piss off and find one!

Oh the little man speaketh. :eek: Do you need a milk crate, brother ?

I was unaware that people's signatures are now under scrutiny.

It was actually a test to see if Pollux had developed a sense of humour in my absence. Ah well, we need to live in hope, eh....

Hell, I'm bored right now, I'll bite....

I have a sense of humour, you should see me laugh my arse off at work......

I just see no point in this post, it appears you are mocking people simply because they have managed to keep the threads on topic.......

Oh the little man speaketh. :eek: Do you need a milk crate, brother ?

I was unaware that people's signatures are now under scrutiny.

I don't need a milk crate... I have a gas lift chair to reach my keyboard!

Anyway, back on topic. I certainly haven't noticed a change of in-jest posting over the last week. Besides, this is a brewing forum first... the entertainment should supplement the discussion, not (always) dominate it.

lion_tamer.jpg

it`s a dangerous job

stagga.

So who got banned? I'm assuming Darren and one other?

I believe you'll find more information here. From what I read the member you mentioned got warned and the other member was banned temporarily (7 days maybe) and you'll find out who by taking notice of some people's signatures.

Cheers,

microbe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back