Castle Hill And Hills District 2011 Show Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im just filling out my entry form and unsure which category this falls into in the style catergories

Ale malt 45%

MO 45%

Wheat 10%

4.5% alc cube hopped to 29 IBU with NS

Australian pale ale?

Mikedub, it really depends on what it tastes like. How much NS did you use? Do the hops come through (which they probably do if you cube hopped it all)? What yeast is that and does that add any flavours? Does the MO add any maltiness? My guess is that this is going to be much too tasty to be an Australian pale ale. Possibly a blonde ale?

I'd get a glass in hand tonight and have a look at the BJCP and AABC styles online and see which one seems most like the beer you are tasting. BJCP styles here and AABC styles here.

have a glass of beer tonight?, well alright then, if you insist :D

I had it marked as an English Pale Ale, it threw me when this style was not listed on the Categories and Style list in the Pdf at the top of this thread, so if I say Cat 8 from the BJCP it will be OK?

have a glass of beer tonight?, well alright then, if you insist :D

I had it marked as an English Pale Ale, it threw me when this style was not listed on the Categories and Style list in the Pdf at the top of this thread, so if I say Cat 8 from the BJCP it will be OK?

Hard work I know.

If you think it's an English pale ale, at 4.5% I guess you're looking at a best bitter. Does it seem like this? Link.

that pretty close, though minus the 'Characterful English yeast'
might do a bit more homework tonight, cheers Stuster

Stu, I saw the minimum size is 2x375ml, or 1x 500ml.
I've only got 330ml bottles of a certain entry (the remaining few bottles of a batch). Could they be accepted?

Stu, I saw the minimum size is 2x375ml, or 1x 500ml.
I've only got 330ml bottles of a certain entry (the remaining few bottles of a batch). Could they be accepted?

Drop me a PM. Should be possible I guess.

Wow, who knew there were so many mead makers out there.

Oak leaf mead! :unsure:

Go for it, Muggus. :beerbang:

Hey Stu, got a solution to all this mead bullshit. Make me the sole judge of that section FOR LIFE. I mean, it's not beer, so has no connection to a beer show. Anyway, I'll judge them all about 14 out of 50, say all were infected and them maybe people would get the flock out of here with this MEAD CRAP!

Then make me the sole sour beer judge FOR LIFE. ditto above. (at least I can say with certainty that they are all infected!) And same with fruit beers! Gosh, won't I have fun making comment on fruit beers :blink:

Then you can go back to being a nice beer show, with ales. Lagers if they must.

and Coopers kit!

Rant over. See you all there ! :beer:

Stu, under which category does Braggot fall? Only show meads are mentioned in the BJCP mead styles that I can find (ie dry, medium, sweet), so should Braggot be entered in specialty?

Hey Stu, got a solution to all this mead bullshit. Make me the sole judge of that section FOR LIFE. I mean, it's not beer, so has no connection to a beer show. Anyway, I'll judge them all about 14 out of 50, say all were infected and them maybe people would get the flock out of here with this MEAD CRAP!

Then make me the sole sour beer judge FOR LIFE. ditto above. (at least I can say with certainty that they are all infected!) And same with fruit beers! Gosh, won't I have fun making comment on fruit beers :blink:

This could be fun - between Barls and myself I'm sure we know enough people to enter 'their' mead, sour beers, and fruit beers to make sure you never taste a normal beer in this competition ever again :D

This could be fun - between Barls and myself I'm sure we know enough people to enter 'their' mead, sour beers, and fruit beers to make sure you never taste a normal beer in this competition ever again :D

:icon_offtopic: Never said anything about tasting the devil brews, just judging them!!! :icon_cheers:

Stu, under which category does Braggot fall? Only show meads are mentioned in the BJCP mead styles that I can find (ie dry, medium, sweet), so should Braggot be entered in specialty?
Braggot is category 26b in the bjcp guide lines.

Fats I'd be happy for you to judge the meads if you do a proper job.
Stu can we assign him to those ones

Braggot is category 26b in the bjcp guide lines.

Fats I'd be happy for you to judge the meads if you do a proper job.
Stu can we assign him to those ones

Stu's already threatened me with sours!

I've offered the Castle Hill people my expertise to judge the chooks too, but they declined my offer when I insisted on having all the bantams de-feathered.

Stu's already threatened me with sours!

I've offered the Castle Hill people my expertise to judge the chooks too, but they declined my offer when I insisted on having all the bantams de-feathered.

I heard it was the roll of gaffa tape they objected to... :lol:

Just a reminder that tomorrow is the last day for entries to brew shops. So get those entries to Dave, Pat or ESB/Brew Shop.

If you can't make it there, you can still either post them in or drop them off to the show ground next week.

Just to reassure all mead/sour/fruit beer entrants that Fatz will be kept far away from your prize entries. In fact, I'll do my best to keep him away from all entries. Not sure I'll have much luck though. :blink:

Hey Stuart

If I drop some entries off next week at Castle Hill who do I see and where can I drop them off?

Cheers

Joe

Hey Joe, where you going with that gun in your hand?

Oh, wrong part of life. Um, so drop offs to Castle Hill will be at the Federation Pavillion (where the judging was for those who have been involved with that) - the main show office. I will be there next Saturday but on Tuesday drop off to the office, probably best to speak to either Heather or Lynne. Drop me a PM maybe.

Hey Stuart

If I drop some entries off next week at Castle Hill who do I see and where can I drop them off?

Cheers

Joe

Just a reminder that you can drop off your entries tomorrow at the show ground. Still just about time to post them in. Or I'll be there on Saturday to get the very last ones. :icon_cheers:

Back