Castle Hill And Hills District 2011 Show Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Big mash up
Reaction score
Inner Sydney Brewers are proud to announce that the Castle Hill comp will be on again this year on 17th and 18th September. We have some great sponsors with prizes including:

Brew for a day at the Australian Brewery
Dinner for two at the Australian Brewery
Brew for a day at the Schwartz Brewery
Four prize vouchers for the Schwartz Brewery
Prize vouchers for Daves Home Brew Shop
Prize vouchers for Absolute Homebrew
Hunter Beer Co. Beers
Murrays Craft brewing prizes
Yeast vials from White Labs
Prize packs from Hopco
Tickets to the Beer Diva Dinner from The Local Taphouse

Entries can be dropped off to Dave's Home Brew, Absolute Homebrew or ESB/The Brew Shop by 3rd September. Or to the showground by post or in person by 10th September.

Just a reminder that for the show purposes you need to fill out the indemnity form on the last page of the flyer.

Open competition, mostly the AABC Australian guidelines but also including ciders and meads which will be judged by the BJCP styles.

Judges and stewards needed so please send me a PM or to my email in the flyer which is attached here. Should be a nice lunch provided and hopefully a few tasty beers as well.

Let me know if you need more info or anything in there is confusing/wrong. :)

Good luck to all. :beerbang:

View attachment Castle_Hill_Competition_2011.pdf

Hi Stu, great to see this comp is running again this year. ;)

Quick question, is there a limit to entries. ie two entries per category?

Cheers

Hi Stu, great to see this comp is running again this year. ;)

Quick question, is there a limit to entries. ie two entries per category?

Cheers

We've run it before as only 2 entries per style rather than per category. Will get back to you on it though.

I've had a think. Two years ago we had two entries per category (last year was different as we were the state comp too). But I think this time we can make it three entries per category. Makes it more flexible.

If you are interested in judging at all (or just wondering how comps work), the best way to start is by coming along and being a steward for the day. We need people to pour out those beers. You get to try the beer and hear what the judges are saying about the beer, without that pesky writing-stuff-down business. :)

PM me if interested.

Prizes look good to me. Thanks to a good turn out from the sponsors. :super:

Bump for the best comp in NSW.
Got my entries bottled, thank god for the 3 per category limit this year! :D

wahoo. meads here i come.

Just a reminder that for the show purposes you need to fill out the indemnity form on the last page of the flyer.
Is making HB legal if you're under 18?
I'm also interested to know if you can imagine any scenario where mailing an entry would involve an 'element of risk or injury'.

Edit:

No it's not a joke or having a go at you or being stupid, the form says: "I have made further enquiries which I feel are necessary or desirable and fully understand the risks involved in this activity."
So I'd like to understand the risks of putting a bottle in the mail to send to the comp.

Is making HB legal if you're under 18?
I'm also interested to know if you can imagine any scenario where mailing an entry would involve an 'element of risk or injury'.

Edit:

No it's not a joke or having a go at you or being stupid, the form says: "I have made further enquiries which I feel are necessary or desirable and fully understand the risks involved in this activity."
So I'd like to understand the risks of putting a bottle in the mail to send to the comp.

That form is not really our idea, it's just the standard form for the Castle Hill show so we need to do it. I can't really see any risks that you might take. I guess your bottle could explode on the way to the PO if it's overcarbonated. But as far as I can see, no chance of any danger. I'm not sure of the legality of under age homebrewing, but again that section is in there as it's simply the show form we need to use.

Certainly fair enough I think to want to be sure about the form and I hope that's clear. Best to ask I think.

And yes, barls, meads are in this year. Any judges out there willing to risk judging barls' meads? :p

mead... MEAD!! Damn it, that's another bloody entry I have to bottle.

Bugger! I'm not conviced my oak leaf mead will be ready by then! :p

And I'm nearly out of quality brews that are ready for drinking. <_<

Hmmm I do have a sack mead conditioning as we speak...tempting...

Wow, who knew there were so many mead makers out there.

Oak leaf mead! :unsure:

Go for it, Muggus. :beerbang:

Holy crap, I just saw the closing date for LHBS dropoffs is next weekend.
Better get my entries organised ASAP!

Would love to help again Stu, but it's the wife's birthday that weekend.

Yep, entries to Dave's, Pat at Absolute or ESB/The Brew Shop close next Saturday (3rd). But you can still drop them off at the Castle Hill showground on the following Tuesday or Saturday plus you can get it there by post until the 10th as well. So still got a bit of time.

No problem, Pete. Some things are more important than beer. :blink:

Hi Stu, is there an account for direct deposit of entry fees or do we just tape the fees to a bottle?

Cheers

No direct deposit option I'm afraid, Matt. So a cheque attached is probably the best way. Contact me though if that's not possible and I'll see what we can do.

Only 5 more days for drop offs to brew shops. You know you want to brew on a commercial system for the day. And what about a free dinner for two - could help your significant other see the value of brewing! :)

Hi Stu, is there an account for direct deposit of entry fees or do we just tape the fees to a bottle?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back