Cast iron burners and black smoke

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lochem

Reaction score
So...I got a refurbished (but mostly brand new) 3 ring burner and hooked up my BBQ grill gas cylinder to try an outdoor brew...
But the flames were orange yellow and not at all blue, and they burned lazy... Resulting in lots of black smoke and burning the bottom of my aluminum kettle.
I could guess the gas pressure must have been poor, but id rule that out since there's plenty in there and it worked fine on my bbq grill.
So my next guess is that I'm using the wrong type of gas. I know I have to use propane for the burner.... U can see the different bits I got in the photos.

Any advice will be great. Thx. I'm not that experienced with these things but my gut tells me it should be blue, high pressure flames similar to a kitchen stove.

Sorry if photos are flipped im doing this on a mobile...

1410912968561.jpg

1410912998381.jpg

1410913025662.jpg

1410913049450.jpg

Firstly you'll want a high pressure or adjustable regulator, the low pressure regs will take quite a long while to bring 30 odd litres of strike water to ~70°C
Secondly, you need to wind out the brass discs at the air intakes, you're not getting enough oxygen in
Wind the discs out until the yellowness disappears from the flame, but not so far so that the flame starts lifting off the little nozzles (you'll be wasting gas once you get that far out)
Everything else looks to be right

This is the regulator I use, I just removed the barbed fitting and added a hose from BCF
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Adjustable-1-2-PT-Thread-1-Outlet-Liquefied-LGP-Gas-Metallic-Regulator-Dark-Blue-/301227286588?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Industrial_Supply_MRO&hash=item46228ba03c&_uhb=1

But if you want one from Aus, this is probably the go
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ADJUSTABLE-REGULATOR-HOSE-1200mm-long-BOOST-YOUR-HEAT-OUTPUT-/121432759205?pt=AU_Outdoor_Living_BBQs_Cookware&hash=item1c45f4dba5&_uhb=1

You want to wind out the disks untill you get a nice blue flame

Latest posts

Back