Cask Ale Available In Sydney Anywhere?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent

Reaction score
Gday all
One of the travelling reps that comes into my shop was today telling me about a beer epiphany he recently had in London. He has never really liked aussie beer, and hates how it is drunk cold, but on a trip to London a few weeks back, he discovered the british bitter on beer engine, and was blown away. He lives in Sydney, and goes out in the city (I think), are there any places with beer engines anywhere in sydney? Apart from a few lucky homebrewers houses :p . I was hoping to be able to get back to him with a place or 2 before the weekend, so he wont go thirsty!
Thanks in advance
Trent

I know Redoak has one of their own cask ales on their beer engine - 205 Clarence St Sydney :beer:
Tim.

Its an English Pale Ale on cask at the Redoak, and its served at room temp. Not sure where the cask is actually located, but the temp is most definitely Sydney room temp, rather than London room temp! Its a bit light for an English Pale and has far too much head (but then it would if served at 20 degrees) :D Nice to try, but I didn't go back for another...

The Braidwood Pale Ale used to be hand pumped at The Cricketers Arms, The St.Albans Pub and in Balmain ( can't remember the name). Check out the forum for the timing of the St.Peter's Brewery specials at the Nags Head in Glebe.

i frequent redoak quite often and must say that the "real ale" from the hand pump is the only beer i havent enjoyed.
As insight mentioned it is at "cellar temp" which is perfect in the mother land.. but over here, its far too warm. 12-14*c would be fine, but it seems to be over 20*C i would think.

the nags head is a good bet, i think its the first friday of the month for a couple of casks (could be last friday..? or second..? oops)

The Braidwood ESB is at the Riverview Hotel in Balmain

Nags head pub(Glebe) night is friday week if Matt is putting it on.....

Can anyone confirm? I live one block away and I keep dropping in looking for homebrewers and finding end of year school socials instead.

Thanks for the replies fellas
That should be enough to keep him going, or at least get him started. I am surprised that Redoak serve there pale at 20C, I am all for cellar temp beer, but that is just crazy. Wouldnt be so bad in winter, but when the weather starts to warm you think they would have a fridge that could hold 2 casks, and set it at 12C, so when the open cask is blown, they still have another one at the correct temp. Oh well, each to their own.
Once again, thanks for the info, I am quite sure he will put it to good use!
All the best
Trent

I go to the Nag's Head pretty much the first Friday of every month and it's never not been on. That's the first Friday of the month. Matt puts three casks up. Good stuff. Send me a note if you are definitely going next week! Would be good to catch up and talk beer.

Can anyone confirm? I live one block away and I keep dropping in looking for homebrewers and finding end of year school socials instead.

Dwarb I will definately be there next Friday night. i may try to drag a few others along too.
Cheers
Gerard

Back