Cascade Choc Mahogany Porter Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
The bloke across the road bought me a can of the CCMP. as I am doing a Coopers Stout for him. As I have not done a kit beer for many years what else should I add to this Porter to make it drinkable :p
I must admit I am not that keen on doing this kit for myself but I cant dump it. I was thinking a tin of Amber Extract and some steeped crystal and hops?

Steve

The bloke across the road bought me a can of the CCMP. as I am doing a Coopers Stout for him. As I have not done a kit beer for many years what else should I add to this Porter to make it drinkable :p
I must admit I am not that keen on doing this kit for myself but I cant dump it. I was thinking a tin of Amber Extract and some steeped crystal and hops?

Steve

I did one of these last year before going AG and it was pretty tasty, the best kit I've done in fact. This is what I did:

Lose the kit yeast, as you probably know about the cascade yeast is particularly bad in terms of kit yeast
Mini-mashed some munich malt with some flaked oats (300g of each) and steeped 250g choc malt and then boil however much wort you choose to collect with a kilo of dark DME

Add an EKG plug at flameout, after cooling a little dump the whole lot in the fermenter

Make up to 20 litres

I used US-05 but an english yeast would have been better

It was a tasty chocolatey brew, I think I'll have to try an AG version come winter...

Steve

Anedotedically, this is either the most maligned or favoured kit about. I'm the former, twice I've made it, firstly K & K the next Kit & malts - both times I've dumped the results. Just awful flavours, which disappointed as I love choc porters.

That said, there are plenty of people who love it. Honey seems a prime addition to those who like it.

My suggestion - Add black malt and turn it into a stout. Or if this is for the guy across the road, simple crystal and sugar - don't waste too much good stuff on what I reckon is an ordinary product.

I was thinking steepinh these spec. grains. Dont take any notice of the colour.

kit porter

Type: Extract
Date: 26/04/2010
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Brewer: Stephen Wright

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
1700.00 gm Cascade Porter (600.0 EBC) Extract 40.00 %
1500.00 gm Coopers Malt Extract - Amber (669.8 EBC) Extract 35.29 %
500.00 gm Crystal Malt - Medium (Thomas Fawcett) (145.0 EBC) Grain 11.76 %
50.00 gm Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 1.18 %
50.00 gm Saaz [2.50 %] (10 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
500.00 gm Honey (2.0 EBC) Sugar 11.76 %
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (US56) (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 0.000 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 0.000 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.89 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.00 %
Bitterness: 23.7 IBU Calories: 0 cal/l
Est Color: 182.9 EBC Color:

SJW

very similar to a basic K&K I did.

Choc Stout Mahogony
1 x coopers Stout,
1 x Cascade Choc Mahag Porter,
500g DDME,
0.25kg Choc Malt Grain
28g. EKG @ 15min.
12g Fuggle @ 15 min.
22L
pitched 0.6L of yeastcake (Wyeast 1098) from a PA
OG 1.060, FG 1.022, 5.6% (6.1% after bottling)

Stout flavours took over a bit whilst young.

I was thinking steepinh these spec. grains. Dont take any notice of the colour.

Throw away the kit, add 1.5kg of LPME, up the chocolate to 350g and a tag more bittering hop and you'll have a good brew ! :icon_cheers:

Wish to see you get a good result from this. Keep us informed. I would loved to be proved wrong about my opinion of this kit.

I thought about suggesting that, but he's asked for a K&K. SO heres a variation of my above one

1 x mahogony porter
0.4kg DDME
0.5kg morgans masterblend dark crystal LME (or similar)
0.3kg Choc Malt Grain
0.150kg Roasted Barley
0.2kg Crystal
28g. EKG @ 60 min.
12g Fuggle @ 15 min.
should give OG1.043, FG 1.012, 4.6%

My suggestion is a bit simple - but it's worked for me twice now and is a favourite of my Dads, so here goes:

The Kit,
1kg Chocolate Liquid Malt Extract,
500g Honey,
20g Cascade steeped for 15min.
US-05 yeast.

Comes out looking black as anything, but is actually red when you hold it up to the light. Beautiful aromas and a nice taste, mellows out to 5 or 6 months and keeps improving all the while! Easy and quick, but good to drink.

Cheers - boingk

I have one of these kits brewing at the moment and used:
- The can
- 1kg of chocolate Malt
- 500g Light Dry Malt
- 500g Lactose (unfermentable but adds creamy character)
- 15g Cascade hops steeped for 15 mins
- US-05 yeast
I also added a Vanilla Bean to try something different.
I only brewed to approx 18L
OG - 1071
SG is just starting to stop moving at 1035
This is my first extract brew moving away from can and kilo

Any comments? How long will this take to mature? Also what temp do I mature at?

I am not a fan of Cascade products usually, but this one is the exception. It isn't my recipe, but I have made it a couple of times and it is a favourite.

1 can Cascade Mahogany Porter
1kg Dark Malt
500gm Yellow Box Honey
125gm Crystal Grain
20gm Cascade Hops (steeped)
Safale yeast

If you don't like this, I''ll drink them for you.

Cheers, Pete

Thats pretty much the way I tried it Peter B - I'm a fan also! Might just put some in the fridge for tonight actually :D

Sprungmonkey - I'd give it at least 4 weeks to start with and try one then. I've kept them up to 6 months before and they only get better!

I just finished mixing up a stout...

1 can of choc mahogany porter
1 can of coopers stout
1kg dark liquid malt
Saf04 yeast
23 litres

Just waiting for the wort to cool down before pitching the yeast
As this is my first go at a stout what do the assembled members recommend hops wise, I don't want more bitterness as I understand using 2 cans increases this or should I just leave it and see how it goes.

Cheers
Tony

I have finally got my porter on tap now. very very nice. it has a real nice creamy head and texture to it - im guessing from the lactose - almost as creamy as a kilkenny. Can't really taste the vanilla beans. I can't see this keg lasting very long.

Back