Cascade Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazz78

Reaction score
Hi all ! After much success with my first ever brew, Didn't expect that coopers lager to taste half as good as it did. Mybe it was a self justification thing ! I've decided to try the Cascade pale ale.
Just wanting to know how others hve forund brewing it. Do I need to ad an enhancer or just stick to the instructions.

Any help very much appreciated.

Kind regards
GC

Hi Gazz,

I haven't brewed this exact kit, but if you were going to stick with Coopers sugars, definitely go with brew enhancer #2 - the extra malt is always worthwhile!

I found a recipe on here with a Cascade hops additional, I brewed it and after a month in the bottles it is fantastic. the first couple of weeks it was a bit hoppy and astringent. Now it is GREAT.

The recipe in the next post is the one I used.

this gave me great results in the past....

- 1 kilo of dried pale malt (boil up for approx 10 minswith 3 litres of water)
- in the last 5 minutes of the boil, add 25g of cascade hops
- add the contents of the pale ale tin
- turn off boil and mix up
- add everything to fermenter and fill up to 22L with water
- add 1 pack of us-56 yeast
- 7 days in primary and then rack to secondary for another 7 days

I've made a couple of nice beers with the kit. The kit seems to have a reasonably nice level of bitterness but I think benefits from hop additions for a bit of extra flavour and aroma.

The supplied yeast seems to leave some residual sweetness. If making this kit again I'd probably use something that ferments a little drier. Actually, the recipe above looks like it could be the goods!

Thanks heaps for the replies guys ! Knew somebody would be on the money with this one :D

Hughman666, or others, dumb question I know but when you say 1 kilo of dried malt and us-56 yeast you get that from a homebrew shop or ? And one even dumber question, rack to secondary. That would mean ?

As always thanks all :D
Kind regards
GC

this gave me great results in the past....

- 1 kilo of dried pale malt (boil up for approx 10 minswith 3 litres of water)
- in the last 5 minutes of the boil, add 25g of cascade hops
- add the contents of the pale ale tin
- turn off boil and mix up
- add everything to fermenter and fill up to 22L with water
- add 1 pack of us-56 yeast
- 7 days in primary and then rack to secondary for another 7 days

when you say 1 kilo of dried malt and us-56 yeast you get that from a homebrew shop or ?
Gazz,
you will find most HBS sell dried malt extract by the half kilo and a range of yeast including the popular
US-56, as for the racking ive never done it but i seem to remember a few threads on it in here, shouldnt be hard to find :p

cheers :beer:

Gav

Rack to secondary means to transfer the fermented wort to another container for the remainder of the ferment, this takes it off the yeast cake in the bottom of the tank.

I didn't bother, but I did rack it to a 25L cube when I bulk primed it, so I didn't stir up all that yeast.

My LHBS sells dried malt in 0.5 and 1kg bags and sachets of US-56 ($3.50), and 50g of hops pellets, he even keeps the yeast and hops in the fridge.

Thanks so much guys ! all the help is very much appreciated
:beer:

Glenos said "I didn't bother, but I did rack it to a 25L cube when I bulk primed it, so I didn't stir up all that yeast."

I think you did the right thing to not bother, but I wonder why you kept that in the recipe then. Unless the wort has an inordinate amount of proteins or hop trub, I just can't see the need for transferring a 14-day ale to a secondary. And neither did you. This is one of those practices that the N. Americans seem to hold onto like some kind of sacred cow, and every now and then it will crop up here in instructions and recipes. After ten years of fairly serious homebrewing, I am thoroughly unconvinced of the need. And further, I think it actually does the beer some good to stay in contact with the large yeast cake to mop up residual sugars and flavour compounds.

But that's just me.

Steve

Hey all ! I brewed this up last saturday 21/04 , inital reading was 1040 and the last 2 days were 1030. Smells very cascade light high pitch/sharp wheaty if that makes sence ! What sort of grav reading should I be looking over the next few days ? I thought 1030 was a little high, has been in 18-20 degrees all the time exept one day where it was 16-18.

As always any thoughts appreciated.
Kind regards
-GC

Back