Carboy In The Fridge?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MUZZY

Reaction score
Is it possible to bulk prime your brew into another carboy and then plug up the air lock and keep it in the fridge??
Would it go flat? <_<

Muzzy,
IF you could get a good enough seal on the threaded part of the lid, and you could fully bung up the airlock hole, then I reckon you would blow up the fermentor. If by carboy, you mean one of those big glass jobbies, you would blow the bung out for sure. Either way, you will not end up priming your beer.
However, if you put the beer into a keg (stainless steel, soda type or equal) then sealed it up, you would not blw the keg up, and you would naturally carbonate the whole bach in one hit.

dreamboat

Oh right! I guess thats why no one does it! :huh:

Is there any cheaper alternative to spending $400 on a keggin system??

Correct me if im wrong, but if you bulk primed in anything and then stuck it in the fridge, nothing would happen because the temps too cold for any fermentation to cause carbonation...

Not necessarily - even at low temps there will be some yeast activity. It might take an awful long time but fermentation would continue at a slow rate. I have yeast starters in Grolsch bottles in my fridge and every so often I quickly (and cleanly :D ) open them to release the pressure - even on ones that in theory have already stopped fermenting.

Trev

Can someone point in the right direction re setting up my own basic kegging system - cheers

still More questions........ ;)

So can you rack the brew into the keg using bulk priming sugar or do need the CO2 ???

Latest posts

Back