Carboy 23lt Sydney?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duke55

Reaction score
Hey guys, been brewing for a while, K&K, skipped partials, now all grain brewing but have always used the plastic drum type fermenters. I have just converted to ditching the lid and using gladwrap, no airlock.....having no problems and its great to see the action from the top clearer, but now what to see the action properly inside when fermenting but am having a little difficulty finding someone in Sydney (CHEAP!! Surprize surprise) that sells the glass carboys??? Any suggestions??

[quote having a little difficulty finding someone in Sydney (CHEAP!! Surprize surprise) that sells the glass carboys??? Any suggestions??
[/quote]
Glass Carboys "Cheap" the movie the Castle comes to mind pretty quickly.

General price is around $70 ea

Absolute Home Brew - St. Marys has them for $75, but he may do you a deal
Ph: (02) 9833-0555

I have two glass carboys and I love them :super:

Good luck

Cheers
C :icon_cheers:

Ebay? I got one for $5 (here in Adelaide), for another few bucks she threw in a $5L and a 2L one too. =) I'm brewing a wit in it now and it looks awesome!

Not sure if anyone in syd stocks them but the 23L better bottles I have seen are around $50 so it sounds a little cheaper than a carboy, and it's not glass. They screw you if you want to buy any of their proprietary accessories though.

yeah, I saw the better bottles but craft havent got any in stock at the moment. Was wondering, ive got an old plastic bottle that was once used for water on top of one of the old water bubler/coolers.. I was going to use it as a hopper for my crusher but ended up making a wooden one, can i use that or is there a difference between them??

Not sure if anyone in syd stocks them but the 23L better bottles I have seen are around $50 so it sounds a little cheaper than a carboy, and it's not glass. They screw you if you want to buy any of their proprietary accessories though.

No idea TBH. I'd assume that the water bottle is food grade and it can take the weight of all that water, but I've never heard of anyone using them as a fermenter before, probably a reason for it.

From the spiel on their website;

"BetterBottle carboys are: 1) Designed to be strong, scuff resistant, easy to handle, and essentially unbreakable, 2) Pure Taste- and odor-free, BPA-free, DEHP-free, plasticizer-free, 3) Virtually impermeable to oxygen, 4) Extraordinarily easy to wash and sanitize (no brushes necessary), and 5) Clear and colorless. BetterBottle carboys are not at all like other plastic carboys (Use the FAQ tab to access the BB vs. Plastic discussion for additional information). The special PET, used to make BetterBottle carboys, is non-absorbing, non-porous, and non-wetting (hydrophobic), so it will not carry over flavors from one batch of wine or beer to the next and it is easier to clean and sanitize than glass or other plastics. BetterBottle carboys are ideal for home winemaking and home brewing."

yeah, i read that on there website, but wasnt really sure as most companies claim this and that to get that edge over the others......but your right.......there maybe a really good reason why not to? looks like google will be my friend tonight... :D

theres seems to be good reason not to use the water ones.....my serch continues.....

pvc_carboy.jpg

Polyvinylchloride Carboy
recycle%203.jpg
Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) , which typically contains plasticizers and bisphenol-A (BPA);

I have bought two 23L glass fermenters from The Brew Shop. They are not listed on their site but they do sell them. Can't remember the price but ring them and ask if you want.

Latest posts

Back