Carbonation stone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFergz

Reaction score
Hey guys thinking of getting a carbonation stone just wondering if any of you successfully use them with consistent results? I normally use the set and forget method in accordance with a carbonation chart but wouldn't mind getting into the beer a bit earlier if I can get an accurate carbonation to my kegs. I have tried force carbonating with agitation and a higher psi but can never get any consistency and not without jeopardising the balance of my setup. Any advice welcome cheers in advance!

I used to carb @serving pressure but I had much better results hitting a cold keg with 300kpa for exactly 24hrs.
De-gas after 24hrs & hook it up @serving pressure. I've never used carbonation stones so can't offer any advice there, sorry.

I've used the stone twice and it seems to work better if you carbonate slowly. I set pressure to 5psi, wait until it sounds like the pressure has stabilised, increase by 2-3psi and wait again. I take it to about 10-20% above serving pressure and leave there for a few hours. After that, I bleed to serving pressure and test carbonation. If it is too carbonated, I release all pressure from keg and then add more CO2 to get to serving pressure.

It definitely speeds up the process of getting bubbles into beer, but giving it a bit more time seems to result in a slightly finer texture.

Latest posts

Back