Carbonation for Guinness-style brew (bottle conditioned)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthopperman

Reaction score
I have an AG Guinness clone fermenting and I’m starting to wonder what level of carbonation to do for bottle conditioning. A lot of the more Guinness-specific information is about carbonation with some nitrogen, so I thought I’d see if anyone could give advice regarding bottle conditioning it.

How to Brew’s guide is what I typically go by, and he recommends 1.5-2 carbonation level of British ales, but I actually wonder if I could go lower. I’ve seen it mentioned that Guinness could have as low as 1 volume of CO2, but I wonder if that’s only relevant with nitro. My main concern with going too low is if it would affect the head, but I feel it’s important for the style to have very little carbonation.

If you're priming individually with Cooper's drops, you could bottle half the batch with 330ml bottles and half with 500ml and see if you have a preference.

I have an AG Guinness clone fermenting and I’m starting to wonder what level of carbonation to do for bottle conditioning. A lot of the more Guinness-specific information is about carbonation with some nitrogen, so I thought I’d see if anyone could give advice regarding bottle conditioning it.

How to Brew’s guide is what I typically go by, and he recommends 1.5-2 carbonation level of British ales, but I actually wonder if I could go lower. I’ve seen it mentioned that Guinness could have as low as 1 volume of CO2, but I wonder if that’s only relevant with nitro. My main concern with going too low is if it would affect the head, but I feel it’s important for the style to have very little carbonation.
Personal preference I have a Foreign Extra Stout ready for bottling, I am 1.5 1.8 for a stout I would go 1.5 also depends on the temperature of the beer. I don't drink mine cold 12 to 15C so a volume of 1.5 will be slightly higher as I understand it.

I also have an Irish Extra Stout fermenting I am putting that in a key keg conditioning with sugar I have a factory set inline pressure valve at 5 PSI so I am hoping that will give me close to a cask pressure and serve through a stout spout. First time trying this so room for improvement. Hoping this will mimic a cask drawn stout without the stress of trying to drink it all before it goes off.

Personal preference I have a Foreign Extra Stout ready for bottling, I am 1.5 1.8 for a stout I would go 1.5 also depends on the temperature of the beer. I don't drink mine cold 12 to 15C so a volume of 1.5 will be slightly higher as I understand it.

I also have an Irish Extra Stout fermenting I am putting that in a key keg conditioning with sugar I have a factory set inline pressure valve at 5 PSI so I am hoping that will give me close to a cask pressure and serve through a stout spout. First time trying this so room for improvement. Hoping this will mimic a cask drawn stout without the stress of trying to drink it all before it goes off.
Key keg?

A bag in a keg, most are familiar with the words Key Keg, this is the King Keg version. The idea is to condition the beer inside the bag in the keg. Using sugar as for the secondary ferment, Keeping the pressure low, then through a picnic pump, pump air between the bag and the keg walls, gently squeezing the bag forcing the beer through the tap. First time trying this but hopefully this should work.
IMG_6123 - Copy.JPG

Matthopperman

You can view Kai's bottling calculator by clicking on Brewing Software at the top, scrolling down to calculators and scroll down again to Bottle priming calculator. Make sure you get the temperature right if you have cold crashed, read his note below the calculator.

No issues figuring out the calculations - my question is about the style and the level of carbonation appropriate to it.

Last edited:
A bag in a keg, most are familiar with the words Key Keg, this is the King Keg version. The idea is to condition the beer inside the bag in the keg. Using sugar as for the secondary ferment, Keeping the pressure low, then through a picnic pump, pump air between the bag and the keg walls, gently squeezing the bag forcing the beer through the tap. First time trying this but hopefully this should work.
View attachment 123339
Looking forward to see how it goes.

Looking good, looking forward to seeing a pour now.
Better than my expectations, 27 days in the keg. As I kegged at 2C I didn't bother with any sugar, conditioned nicely and poured through the Ultra Tap Stout Spout. A few strokes on the picnic pump and I have an Extra Stout from a keg with a beer engine pour.
IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020 - Copy.JPG

Better than my expectations, 27 days in the keg. As I kegged at 2C I didn't bother with any sugar, conditioned nicely and poured through the Ultra Tap Stout Spout. A few strokes on the picnic pump and I have an Extra Stout from a keg with a beer engine pour.
View attachment 123462
View attachment 123463
That looks as near, if not 100% perfection! I recall my grandfather telling me over a few pints in Wexford Ireland that in his day Guinness was sent out to all the pubs in casks and the publicans did the bottling on site.

If that tastes as good as it looks I would bet that if you bottled it WEAL you would have as near if not exceeding what the OP was looking for in a bottled Guinness.

That looks as near, if not 100% perfection! I recall my grandfather telling me over a few pints in Wexford Ireland that in his day Guinness was sent out to all the pubs in casks and the publicans did the bottling on site.

If that tastes as good as it looks I would bet that if you bottled it WEAL you would have as near if not exceeding what the OP was looking for in a bottled Guinness.
Well Sean this is a different way to serve a beer, just thought it would suit a stout. The concept is mainly for the commercials but I don't see why homebrewers cant get in on the action.
As for the bottling, I do have a foreign extra stout in bottles with 2.5 litres of sour beer added, I added 20 gram of sugar to 21 litres, while still a nice pour not as good as the low carbonated King Keg pour.

OK got me a couple of King Kegs, spare bags and picnic pump, will be ready to fill the first keg next week. Can you please let me know what else I will need, or better still start another thread on King Kegs with step by step instructions with the Kin Keg please.

OK got me a couple of King Kegs, spare bags and picnic pump, will be ready to fill the first keg next week. Can you please let me know what else I will need, or better still start another thread on King Kegs with step by step instructions with the Kin Keg please.
Will probably be better in its own thread, will start one shortly.

Back