Carbonated Yeast Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm putting down a cider, I dumped a couple of sachets of US05 in a bottle of apple juice and forgot about it. I woke up this morning and the bottle looked like it was gonna blow. When i slowly released the pressure it seemed to be carbonated. Is this gonna be a tip it and start again job or do you think it will be ok? It smells ok.

How many packets and how big a bottle of apple juice?

I would have just re hydrated it and pitched it considering it's dry. Were you going to pitch into some super large literage that required a starter?

As I'm sure you know Co2 is just a by product of fermentation and as you had it in closed vessel it carbonated the liquid. If you just shake it "stir plate" the co2 will come out of suspension.

I doubt an over night ferment would have produced much in the way of off flavors. Not sure on the chemistry or relation of yeast health when placed under pressure but if you can re culture coopers yeast then I'd say no issue.

As to if you should use it? smells / taste ok? Go for it but it's not my expensive cider juice :D

Latest posts

Back