Caramunich I & Czech Pilsners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure Budvar no longer does decoctions though.
Hmmm... I dunno how I got this idea, but it's completely wrong. Never mind.

Well i would hope not, because the Budvar style Pils i put on last weekend was with a double decoction.

'Twas 4kg of Wey Boh Pils, 500g of JW Pils, 200g of Wey Carapils and 300g of JW Light munich. Did a 53-66-72C double decoction with a 20-30' boil at each pull. Used 25g NZ B Saaz for FWH and bittering and then 3 Czech saaz plugs, 1 at 15' and 2 at flameout. WLP802 Budejovice of course. Tastes bloody good although it probably needs more Saaz plugs next time to get that real over-the-top Saaz aroma/flavour that Budvar has. But even though it has only just been put into lagering, the maltiness/sweetness that Budvar has is very similar to what i got. After lagering and bottling i'll organise a blind taste test and work out what needs to change. I'm pretty keen on getting a beer that's very similar to Budvar, nicer than PU in my opinion, hence why it's my avatar :chug: .

Anyway back on topic, haven't tried Caramunich but i'd say that using Melanoidin would be a better choice to get that caramel sweetness/maltiness, or Wey Carahell. I've seen some talk about Carahell being ideal for about 5% of a Bo Pils grainbill.

Been awhile since I've had a budejovicky Budvar, however I've always tasted more saaz hops in my Pilsner Urquell then I have in the Budvar. The Budvar imho seems more mild in hops and slightly more malty(SMOOTH malty that is) in flavour. Though everyone's tastebuds are different. I kegged a triple decocted PU clone 1.5 weeks ago and can hardly wait the three month conditioning phase I'm going to give it, however I am determined to make a great tasting Pilsner.

Cheers :)

Been awhile since I've had a budejovicky Budvar, however I've always tasted more saaz hops in my Pilsner Urquell then I have in the Budvar. The Budvar imho seems more mild in hops and slightly more malty(SMOOTH malty that is) in flavour. Though everyone's tastebuds are different. I kegged a triple decocted PU clone 1.5 weeks ago and can hardly wait the three month conditioning phase I'm going to give it, however I am determined to make a great tasting Pilsner.

Don't get me wrong, i was never saying that Budvar had more hops than PU, just that i preferred it. They still both have bucketloads of hops in them, just in the Budvar it's easier to taste the aroma/flavour hops without the bitterness of PU.

Anyway, sounds like a nice beer you have there. What was the temps/decoction schedule?

If anyone can work out what the secret is to brewing good Czech Pilsners at home, i think with our collective mindset we can really do it!

I am still yet to get hold of the complete recipe, however I have tried a homebrewed pilsener side by side with Pilsner Urquell, and to bt totally honest, the ONLY difference between them that I could distinguish, was that the homebrew held its head longer. Flavourwise I couldn't tell them apart. My brothers workmate who brewed this AG wonderbrew thinks he may have "lost" his promash recipe somewhere, somehow :eek: :( 😠 I have been told that one of the grains used in this recipe is Weyermann munich type 1 malt. I am still hoping, praying....that I can get a copy of this recipe. I'll update you if I get hold of it.

Hello Stoodoo,

We're you able to get a hold of this recipe? I'm working on a PU clone and am very excited to see someone has accomplished and would love to see how they did it.

That post you are referring to is nearly 18 years old.

Latest posts

Back