Cara Aroma, How Much In What?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
Just got some cara aroma. Last time i used this was years ago, i used too much and boy what a crap beer. So, how much of it in what??. I love my ordinary bitters if that helps.

Barry, im lookin at you haha

Some info from the Weyermann website.

CARAAROMA 350 - 450 130 - 170

* Amber Ale
* Dunkel Lager
* Dark Ale
* Stout
* Porter
* Bock Beer

up to
15 %

* fuller body
* improved malt aroma
* deep, saturated color
* red color

Good Day
I love it. In an ordinary bitter I would start with 200 gms and see how you like it. 250 gms for special bitter and 300 to 350 for ESB. This is what I have used for different styles, Might be OK for a starting point.
100 gms Vienna/Oktobrfest, Schwarzbier, dubbel, northern brown
200 gms Munich Dunkel. wee heavy, bock, APA (to 250), Scottish 80/-. American Amber Ale (could use 300 gms)
300 gms Robust Porter, IRA (up to 500 gms)
400 gms Foreign stout
I am not saying that this must be the amounts , just the record of what I have used.

Thanks guys. Hope you haven't given away any secrets barry!. If i start winning heaps of comps, you'll know why!. Thanks mate.

I use it in my Dubbels and my Irish Reds. My Irish Red (Aidans Irish Red) recipe is in the recipe section.

Beers,
Doc

Caraaroma is a sub for Belgian Special B malt which is commonly found in Seppo recipes.

just crushed the grain for my second 50 liter brew of the morning.

A brown porter.

I changed the recipe a bit from what i posted before.

I added 600g 100ebc english cryatal, 500g english chocolate and 200g caraaroma with all IMC ale malt as the base.

so thats about 2% caraaroma in the recipe.

I crushed the dark grains seperatly to the base malt as i wet the base malt to keep the husks whole. I find if i soften the dark grain they dont break up as much and i dont get my moneys worth out of them.

you should have smelt the crystal/choc/caraaroma combo all crushed up. you couls have brewed a pot of chocolate coffee with it.

mashing it in soon, cant wait for this one.

cheers

going to hop it with lots of willamette

Drinking my angry sea bitter now. It has MO, plus a bit of cara aroma, and a touch of dark xtal, with only a FWH addition of challenger. YUM FRIGGIN YUM, im loving it!!, i will definately use cara aroma more often in my bitters. The beer was a bit harsh for the first week, but i was sick, so it may have been me, but now it is beautiful, so simple, but sooooo bloody nice.

Cheers.

I use a far whack in my IPA, but it also has every other german malt in it. meloidan, munich, munich II

Back