Capping screw-top bottles - few concerns!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
Got one of those pretty generic bench bottle cappers from Big W but have seen them everywhere, which claims to cap both screw-top and non screw-top bottles. It caps the non screw-top bottles without a hitch, however I'm dubious as to whether my screw-top bottles are being capped properly. I've not tested these with beer, just having a practice at the moment.

Now, the cap on the screw-top bottle is certainly going on, although I don't seem to be able to lower the lever all the way, which is a bit of a concern. It feels to only go so far and I'm worried about breaking the capper or shattering a bottle. But I've got a cap on the screw-top bottle and it's certainly on but it does unscrew pretty easily. It won't lift off the bottle directly though, not without a bottle opener anyway. My worry is it isn't sealing properly and I'll end up with a load of flat beer.

What do you reckon?

My advice would be to ditch the screw tops. When you start out bottles seem like rare mario coins, but within 12 months of brewing and guzzling craft beer you will have more crown tops than you know what to do with.

I think you might be right. I've got plenty of plastic bottles which I'm happy to use and and have a collection 25 or so non screw-tops (and growing). Certainly I should be good for bottles with those.

I'd say your going ok but to test the seal, half fill bottle say with coke, seal and then shake the bottle. You'll then know if it's sealed. But I would cap as your doing and then give the cap a twist to tighten with one of those hand bottle openers designed for screw caps.
Cheers

They work just as well as crown seals.
If you turn each bottle upside down after capping you will see any leaks, once the pressure builds up a little the caps will feel firmer.

I cap screw-tops flat out, never had a problem. My capper doesn't fit perfectly either - maybe just a thing with some cappers. I use loose dextrose to carbonate, so I usually tip the bottle a few times to mix that in, and a poor seal is immediately visible and can be fixed there and then.

I like to have a few Sol or Corona bottles in each batch, so I can see how the colour is clearing up - since the bottles are completely translucent, and a few plastic bottles so I can tell how the carbonation is going by squeezing them.

You will be fine. The bench capper works well despite seeming like it either didn't seal or is going to break the bottle. I have capped well into the hundreds of screw tops without a problem. Though I do strongly recommend getting some Coopers crown seal bottles as they are much stronger and all round better.

The crown seal bottles have you a nice satisfying feeling when you cap them. You can feel once you've gone past the lips in the bottle and there's no more pressure.

The screw tops on the other hand just give you pressure the whole way. But they work just as fine. Can't say I've ever had one leak. Pretty easy to check - just flip it upside down!

Slowly you'll migrate towards the crown seal bottles (and then to kegs?! :) but nothing wrong with the screw tops!

Keep in mind that the area that provides the seal with bottle caps is not at the thread/crown seal but the flat surface on the very top of the bottle- referred to as the sealing surface. Essentially the cap has a polymer inside it that presses against it and forms the seal. All the crown/thread does is provide a means to pull the cap down onto the sealing surface and seal it all up. As long as you are achieving this, your beer will be sealed perfectly and you won't have any problems.

Yep, you don't get quite the sane satisfying 'thunk' when the lid goes on with screw tops as you do with crown seals but they still work fine.

Yeah I cap screw tops all the time and they seal fine. I have smashed 2 screw top tallies while capping though. They had probably had hard lives though ( I have bounced more bottles while washing than I care to admit). Basically I use my empty crown seal bottles up first then I move to screw caps when I run out.

Thanks for the advice all, much appreciated. I'll keep collecting the non screw-tops and try to avoid the screw tops if possible. Eventually if I drink enough craft beer, I should be set!

Just try the upside down test ;) if it leaks it is not sealed hehe.

brewermp said:
Just try the upside down test ;) if it leaks it is not sealed hehe.
I did that once, to a bottle I thought I'd already capped... It had been a long brew day.

But it proves the test works I guess.

*edit - spelling.

Latest posts

Back