Cantillon Bottles Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmolou

Reaction score
ok iv recently got access to some cantillon bottles and was wondering if anyone knew if the yeast was viable and all that for a lambic brew

also can wild fermentations like leaving wort without a lid for the night to get wild yeasts inside make you sick when you drink or in other words can infections be dangerous to your health

cheers

I've never tried cultivating it, but it probably is viable. You may want to consider pitching a Belgian strain and letting that ferment for a week or two, then try adding the lambic culture. This method doesn't allow the beer to get too funky/sour and still produces good results. Just make sure that you give the lambic culture lots of time to properly mature - a year or two in the carboy isn't unheard of.

As far as your wort becoming poisonous from wild yeast/bacteria, all the sources I've read say it isn't possible. Some people are afraid of botulism, but from what I've been able to gather, the botulism bacteria (I think) can't grow in a very sugar rich environment and apparently wort is too sugary for it to survive/grow. The one flanders brown I made was soured by me taking my dirty drip tray and dipping it in the beer. Really. I know, I know, it sounds gross but the tray had the perfect flanders smell and the beer turned out well.

I've never tried cultivating it, but it probably is viable. You may want to consider pitching a Belgian strain and letting that ferment for a week or two, then try adding the lambic culture. This method doesn't allow the beer to get too funky/sour and still produces good results. Just make sure that you give the lambic culture lots of time to properly mature - a year or two in the carboy isn't unheard of.

As far as your wort becoming poisonous from wild yeast/bacteria, all the sources I've read say it isn't possible. Some people are afraid of botulism, but from what I've been able to gather, the botulism bacteria (I think) can't grow in a very sugar rich environment and apparently wort is too sugary for it to survive/grow. The one flanders brown I made was soured by me taking my dirty drip tray and dipping it in the beer. Really. I know, I know, it sounds gross but the tray had the perfect flanders smell and the beer turned out well.

haha sounds like a good way to advertise homebrew to ur mates "u see that tray thats how i made my beer "haaha

anyway yer i have used belgian abbey II to ferment my wort then racked onto cherries and belle vue kriek which i didnt realise was pasturised and a saison dupont cork and like dregs of many homebres and left it with the lid open one night under the house

(do you think that would make it sour or get the cantilon bottle anyway?

good to hear its not poisonous :rolleyes:

Or maybe picth a wine yeast? PS my first sour, wild, lambic.... beer

Latest posts

Back