Can't Brew For 6 Plus Weeks...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asha05

Reaction score
Due to knee surgery, i'm stuck on the couch bored as bat shit...And this site is not helping...On here everyday looking at new recipes, BIAB threads, kegging etc and i can't do a god damn thing...With crutches and a bung right knee cant lift or move fementers around...Just thought i'd express my frustration... <_<

My suggestion is to hop onto an online bookshop and buy a few brewing books to read while during your enforced absence.

Make use of the strong dollar to get cheap books.

yeah true, but i enjoy doing the whole process...Just have to knock out a heap of brews when im back up and running...In the meantime its a lot of research and finding things to spend my tax return on when it comes around...Keg set up is looking very tempting...

At least it's saving money right :p after 6 weeks you can splash out on a keg system or w/e :D

Knock up some brew sheets and post em up for consideration, and when your all healed, brew with knowledge that you have thought it all through ;)

Im about to move to Brisbane, not brew for at least 12 months id say and im dreading it so i know where you are coming from.

Not a bad idea, i was hoping to jump into AG pretty soon, been reading up here a lot on BIAB and watching a few vids on youtube and i think i could get my head around it...might check out some recipes...and ask a few questions.

Not a bad idea, i was hoping to jump into AG pretty soon, been reading up here a lot on BIAB and watching a few vids on youtube and i think i could get my head around it...might check out some recipes...and ask a few questions.

I am a noob and im giving AG a go, following NickJD's tutorial :) Warning: If you read to much brewing material you will start to have brewing dreams, this will NOT help you sleep!

C'mon mate,

if you can lift a 3 litre jug you can make a brew. It might not be the best you ever made,
but i decent brewing you shouldn't be lifting around heavy things anyway. Let it ferment in place,
weater is cool enough for that now.

...Warning: If you read to much brewing material you will start to have brewing dreams, this will NOT help you sleep!
Au contraire!

When I am having trouble going to sleep, I just imagine myself in my "happy place", which just happens to be my brewery. Soon after, it's sweet, sweet, malty dreams.

Au contraire!

When I am having trouble going to sleep, I just imagine myself in my "happy place", which just happens to be my brewery. Soon after, it's sweet, sweet, malty dreams.

I tried that and it made me worse! I was researching my Dark/Stout toucan for about 2 hours before bed and i just couldn't sleep, thinking about the chocolately malty goodness in a stout i tried a few weeks back. Ended up having a few night caps to lower the eyes :chug:

PS: The stout ended up tasting like absolute crap! It took all my will power not to tip it down the sink after 1 month.

Same thing with lack of temp control (waiting on temp controller to be finished by electrician mate). Just read and formulate your next dozen recipes, get detailed research on hop varieties and malt varieties and yeast.

Going to brew today, as yeast is within the temps that my house is consistently getting now.

Goomba

i find myself thinking of brewing while trying to sleep...
I took up homebrew to save money, as me and SWMBO bought a house and with the cost of living etc and beer at $40+ a slab. But i think it has now become an obsession...!

Have a play with BrewMate, i would have spent minimum 3 hours on the thing yesterday :) Not a great variety on ingredients but its free and easy to use.

I took up homebrew to save money, as me and SWMBO bought a house and with the cost of living etc and beer at $40+ a slab. But i think it has now become an obsession...!

Yeah it doesnt take long for this to kick in :) I started just before Chrissy and have switched to AG recently (Waiting to put on my first AG brew my damn Ginger beer is taking weeks to ferment)
If your looking to get into AG and have 6 weeks then put it to good use, write up the list of stuff you need and start trawling ebay and gumtree for bargins. Pick a simple recipe for your first AG. I had some pretty lofty thoughts but have brought them back down to a SMASH recipe to start with.

I like to think of each homebrew I drink as about $2 earned from not having bought the beer in a slab. The drunker I get the richer I get! YAY!

I agree with RobboMC.
I'd just make smaller batches, it mightn't be very practical spending time mashing and boiling wort for 3-5L of grog, but I'd do it just for the sake of brewing... and saving yourself from going stir-crazy.

You could go big on your yeast collection, make some slants. Not that exciting but it's light on the knees and essential brewing business.

I thought i'd replied to this topic but apparently not.

Buy one of those fresh wort kits. Then get someone to pour it into the fermenter for you. Wack in some lager yeast, set the fridge to 12 and then let it sit for a week. A few days at ambient temps to finish it off and then down to 1C till you can move around. Will mean that it will get a decent amount of time lagering. :)

Latest posts

Back