Cane Sugar Addition - Late Boil Addition?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piraterum

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm about to make a partial Belgium Blonde brew. I'm using 2kg of grain and the remaining fermentables with cane sugar and dry malt extract.

Should the cane sugar be added as a late addition (last 15 mins) with the dry malt extract?

In Beersmith there is no option for a late addition boil. implying you don't normally do this. However, if I add it at the start of the boil won't this effect the hop utilisation? :unsure:

cheers,

piraterum

How much sugar and what yeast? I've found too great an addition of sugar in belgian style can lead to a bit of hot alcohol.

Generally I'd whack some in the boil and some in every couple of days after primary has finished. My current thinking on Belgians would also knock my sugar additions back a little. It's there for colour in darker brews and to hold off from being overly malty but good commercial examples aren't super dry - just balanced.

I've found it's easy to overdo the sugar in an effort to get the abv where it should be. Next time I try one I'll add no more than 500g [possibly less] and just up the grain in the mash.

Way too many sucrophobes in brewing :lol: Have used 20%+ in Belgians and done ok. Keep it to 5% in the last 10 - 15 min of the boil (to keep colour contribution low). Then add a little every other day during fermentation after high krausen. Mixed with a little cooled boiled water (don't want any chlorine), just enough to make a liquid then add to the fermenter. Don't add too much keep to small amounts, can be added over a week or more, no hurry.

Screwy

I reject the label sucrophobe and suggest instead that I'm a balancophile.

I just bottled my first tripel so no expert, but my sugaz were boiled in water til dissloved ( 800g/800ml ), then added to the fermentor, which was at 18c, and the beer was 2/3 fermented. It brought the temp up to 22, which worked great, and the yeast went nuts ( again! ). Ended up finishing at 1.008. No hot alcohols in the taste.

Hey Guys,

I'm about to make a partial Belgium Blonde brew. I'm using 2kg of grain and the remaining fermentables with cane sugar and dry malt extract.

Should the cane sugar be added as a late addition (last 15 mins) with the dry malt extract?

In Beersmith there is no option for a late addition boil. implying you don't normally do this. However, if I add it at the start of the boil won't this effect the hop utilisation? :unsure:

cheers,

piraterum
If you change the sugar to being an extract in the ingredient profile in beersmith then you can say it is a late addition boil. That's what I do...
I then add it whenever I want, last 10 sometimes and often after fermentation is underway for bigger beers

the last 1kg of cane sugar should be sent in to bat during the last 1/3 of fermentation, earlier than that with an extract brew will result in too sweet a finish.

the last 1kg of cane sugar should be sent in to bat during the last 1/3 of fermentation, earlier than that with an extract brew will result in too sweet a finish.
Why are you saying this? Is it a yeast health thing, or would the yeast eat the simple sugars first, neglecting the more complex ones and leaving them behind?

My experience with Belgians is the yeasts eat just about everything, they are not fussy. They are robust and as long as you use a good starter pitch coolish and slowly increase ferment temp as you go, then I've never had a problem with sweetness.

Latest posts

Back