Can You Pump Straight Off A Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblythongs

Reaction score
Hi just got a 25 ltr per minute hot water booster pump I want to use for my 50 ltr brews

Setup is a 50 ltr esky with slitted 1/2 copper also I can't slow or speed up the pump speed.

I'm pretty green here and have only done 4-5 AG 50ltr runs without a pump and only burnt myself once lifting water so I thought I better buy a pump I got this one off ebay as I can't afford a March pump yet.
This pump only cost me $20 with copper head They said it had back flow problems when I cracked it open to clean it up I found a couple of chewed up condoms pubic hair and either cigarette buts or old tampons wound around the shaft but after cleaning it up it runs quite well.

I have a 80L & 50L pots and only wanted to make a tap on my 80 and just use the 50 for strike/mash out water and didn't want to drill a hole through my near new 50L S/S pot.

TIA.

PS. whats this beer swap all about I'm interested in getting involved

[/quote]

See meetings threads. You basically brew a batch to swap with local brewers.You'll get the idea from swap threads.
Best to fill in some details on your profile, at least where you are.
Daz

This pump only cost me $20 with copper head They said it had back flow problems when I cracked it open to clean it up I found a couple of chewed up condoms pubic hair and either cigarette buts or old tampons wound around the shaft but after cleaning it up it runs quite well.

Dude. Save up and buy a March pump.

Dude.. if your pump does 25L/min and you can't throttle the output, it's going to be emptying even your largest vessel in 3 and a bit minutes... You OP says you want to pump straight off your mash... if you move liquid that quick from your mash you are going to get some grain bed compaction going on for sure....

I would be inclined to save my $$ and buy a proven pump... but if you already have it and it only cost you $20 it maybe worth a brew or two to try it out if the plumbing to rig it up isn't too expensive...

I was only having a joke at back flow but here is the pump I got
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=270654813871

there was a bit of oil come out when I first ran it and ended up pulling it apart to cleaning any oil off it.

I can give a couple of pics but today it cost me $47 for all the parts to make up a line between the pump and pot/s 2x 1mtr easy hookers + reducing conections and 2 ball valves

Dont wanna be negative but i dont know how long that will last with hot water running through it, especially if your gunna pump out of your kettle - its designed for low temps.

I have a 80L & 50L pots and only wanted to make a tap on my 80 and just use the 50 for strike/mash out water and didn't want to drill a hole through my near new 50L S/S pot.

TIA.

is this for real? a pump that has had this garbage circulating through it - and you want to swap beer.

I dont know if this is a joke - but i'm speechless.

is this for real? a pump that has had this garbage circulating through it - and you want to swap beer.

Hey all of my stuff is sterile before it gets bottled.

The first beer I was going to call "Santa's Secret Waisted Surprise" as after you take a mouthful from the glass you get the shredded ciggie butts and tampons around your gob. This looks like you've pleasured Santa and he has left his magic hair around your mouth as a thank you.
icon12.gif
icon12.gif
icon12.gif
icon12.gif
icon12.gif

The second I was going to call "Naked Arrow" as the shredded fine rubber winds around around your teeth like dental floss.
icon8.gif
:icon_vomit:

@ XA_JG66.
Says for solar hot water systems as well but there are no specs on how hot it can work with and I've only test run it on cold.

It seams to work fine restricting flow with valve control. The only thing I could see it going pear shaped on the day is the seal failing from the heat.
I only bought it to transfer from strike to mash and mash to boil so my max temp would be 70c.

@ everyone reading this I do know of a rumor that early next year a certain larger AU company will start selling 809 equivalent pumps at a much better user friendly price than March.
The price I don't know.

:blink:

I was only having a joke at back flow but here is the pump I got
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...em=270654813871

there was a bit of oil come out when I first ran it and ended up pulling it apart to cleaning any oil off it.

I can give a couple of pics but today it cost me $47 for all the parts to make up a line between the pump and pot/s 2x 1mtr easy hookers + reducing conections and 2 ball valves

+1
i really hope your joking about the shit that was in your pump. if not and your still using it, your sick.

lets assume your not a sick fkn freak using shit covered equipment, the answer to your issue about flow control is a ball valve. that how you control flow.
as already mentioned the pump doesnt look heat rated your running the risk of blowing the pump and ruining your beer. just buy a proper pump.

+1
i really hope your joking about the shit that was in your pump. if not and your still using it, your sick.

lets assume your not a sick fkn freak using shit covered equipment

I was only joking. Pennywise and Citymorgue Maybe you should look deep at your brewing names they both don't mix with happy times. That's just being a sour Santa and scaring people that beer is bad

@ XA_JG66.
Says for solar hot water systems as well but there are no specs on how hot it can work with and I've only test run it on cold.

It seams to work fine restricting flow with valve control. The only thing I could see it going pear shaped on the day is the seal failing from the heat.
I only bought it to transfer from strike to mash and mash to boil so my max temp would be 70c.

@ everyone reading this I do know of a rumor that early next year a certain larger AU company will start selling 809 equivalent pumps at a much better user friendly price than March.
The price I don't know.
[/quote]

I would suggest its for pumping cold water into the hot water system, not pumping hot water out. Not to say that it cant cope though, and if it works youve found a great priced alternative.

Hi just got a 25 ltr per minute hot water booster pump I want to use for my 50 ltr brews

Setup is a 50 ltr esky with slitted 1/2 copper also I can't slow or speed up the pump speed.

I'm pretty green here and have only done 4-5 AG 50ltr runs without a pump and only burnt myself once lifting water so I thought I better buy a pump I got this one off ebay as I can't afford a March pump yet.

TIA.

This looks a good pump for what you require, comes from the UK but at a good price http://www.solarproject.co.uk
these pumps are low voltage and come in various voltages and pumping rates.

pump2.jpg

Sparge_Pump.jpg

I'll be running a herms once I get a march pump, until then I'll stick with my 3 tier gravity system. There's no way I'd be shagging around with anything other than a march pump.

Do it once, do it right. Simple.

Back