can you make saw dust into beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vittorio

Reaction score
In ww2 the Nazi found a way to ferment saw dust to make bread, is there a way to make saw dust into beer?

I was reading some research a year or so ago by a university in Oregon (I think). They were working on a combination of enzymes and yeast strains that can break down wood pulp (cellulose fibers in a lignin matrix) into less complex sugars that could be fermented for fuel ethanol.
I don't remember any mention of beer or the Germans though.

Not For Horses said:
I was reading some research a year or so ago by a university in Oregon (I think). They were working on a combination of enzymes and yeast strains that can break down wood pulp (cellulose fibers in a lignin matrix) into less complex sugars that could be fermented for fuel ethanol.
I don't remember any mention of beer or the Germans though.

Yep, there are proprietry processes for cellulose and lignen into ethanol, can't say that it would be beer though. Milk waste is popular in NZ for ethanol recovery.

Industrial waste such as Brigalow Kits can also be used to recover ethanol but would not be beer either.

vittorio said:
In ww2 the Nazi found a way to ferment saw dust to make bread, is there a way to make saw dust into beer?
piss take here,but I certainly hope so,I'm a chippy so I get beer from my sawdust.!

Oh happy days. Cheers..spog.....

But,I think the Nazis used sawdust as a filler in bread as they did'nt the have enough wheat etc to feed the people ( not as it seems that they gave a Freddie about any but them selves). Cheers...spog...

And curiously the preceding post topic to this is titled, Meanwhile on the Volga....

Mmm. Wood flavoured beer. How about an APA with piney citrusy hops, along with piney citrusy fermentables?

All I can contribute to this is that (as Bribie said) alcohol can be made from wood.

I would only consider using wood as a source of beer carbohydrate if my options were horrendously diminished. I mean, a plague has wiped all seed stock from the planet, all fruit have turned into flesh eating monsters and tubers and roots kill you slowly with lame standup comedy.

punkin said:
Yep, there are proprietry processes for cellulose and lignen into ethanol, can't say that it would be beer though. Milk waste is popular in NZ for ethanol recovery.
In Australia milk waste is recombined with fresh milk in the form of permeate and sold as $1 "milk" in Coles and Woolies.

However Aldi milk is permeate free, their milk waste is sent to Germany and comes back to us in Christmas snacks with totally unpronounceable names with umlauts and which are delicious in ways that vegetables could never be.

Permeate is not a waste product. It is part of the makeup of milk. ALL MILK contains permeate. All they do is adjust the amount in milk.

Since reading about this I have thought many times about trialling this in Tassie but we seem to have a tremendous fear of value adding to our natural resources.
This is why all our sawmill operators are going broke while our houses are being built from Canadian and NZ timber.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Permeate is not a waste product. It is part of the makeup of milk. ALL MILK contains permeate. All they do is adjust the amount in milk.
I worked on a dairy farm for a few years while I was at uni. When I got a glass of milk out of the vat I didn't adjust anything.
Permeate is a by product of cheese making. They use to adjust the milk it so that the fat and protein levels are consistent.

Nowadays I only buy milk straight out of the vat from the Manning Valley cooperative and it's got the cream on the top. Don't tell Aldi, they might revoke my shopping permit.

Bizier said:
I would only consider using wood as a source of beer carbohydrate if my options were horrendously diminished.
You should make a wood-based beer with jarrah sawdust, caramelised carrots and quinoa as the base, beetroot juice added in the boil and caramelised date syrup added in primary.
Ferment it with orval dregs.

Then put it in the case swap!

Back