can you ferment in a plastic milk bottle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often buy 3 litres of juice, pour out a cup or so to create some headspace, put in some yeast and put it in the door of my fermenting fridge to make cider of the Mrs. Wash and sanitize the bottle when finished and use it to do starters in

I have used 2L milk containers for testing first wort hopped beer vs normal hopping. They worked fine. I tend to drink limited amounts so I like to brew small batches to get varity. I settled on using the 5L plastic garden sprayers, I use them for fermenting and kegging.

See http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/21201-building-and-using-garden-sprayer-party-kegs/?hl=%2Bsprayer+%2Bparty+%2Bkeg for one way to use them for kegs.

I personally use an aluminium disc with a tire valve and a non spill coupling to link to a tap or bottle filler. Since I keep the keg in the garage fridge, most of the time I carbonate in the keg and fill bottles to take inside to drink.

sprayer keg.jpg

The outlet coupling is not finished the grey screw fitting is not in the picture.

How well does the 5L garden sprayer work? Looks interesting!

lael said:
How well does the 5L garden sprayer work? Looks interesting!

It works well, I like being able to use them for everything, I ferment in them, transfer to a second and hook it up to CO2 refrigerate and pressurise. I dont tend to leave the gas on in case of a leak, I just draw some off and charge the CO2 up again after. I have had them hold for over a month with no problems. I found that the aluminium disk worked easier than the original with the cutting board as I found that would often not seal well and leak gas.

Sometimes I bulk prime in the second vessel and transfer to bottle instead of using it as a keg but recently I have started to consider bottling from the charged keg. This is also someting I am considering as possible for using the TapKing keg setup. I could do 6L in the Sprayer and fill 2 TapKing bottles for use in the inside fridge. Overall its very flexible and relativily low priced.

Latest posts

Back