Can you blow cold air through a flooded cobra font instead of liquid?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all. About to build a keezer with a mate, he scored a flooded 3 font cobra for $50 that we'll be putting on the top.

I've already got a font fan setup, would connecting that to the glycol tube cool the font at all?

Just a thought before we go out and buy a pond pump and some sort of reservoir for the cold liquid. Cheers

I'm not too sure by what you mean when you asked about connecting a font fan to glycol.
The font fan will do its job as the keezer is basically a sealed unit, but..
Keeping the font cool/ chilled depends on where it is located. If its in the lounge room obviously the temp there will change depending on the weather and season, same goes if its in the shed etc.

It wont work very well.

Most font fans don't have a huge amount of force behind them. Your "cold air" wont circulate all that well through the glycol tubes which are probably quite narrow and restrictive to airflow.

Your only option if wanting to use a fan in that type of setup is to take to the bottom of the font intake with a 1inch (or step) drill bit, and basically open the bottom of the font right up.

Don't be scared to try this approach ;)

MrNed let me know how you get on with this please. I've just built a similar set up and I thought I might get away with not cooling the font at all but the beer is coming out frothy as hell...i dont really want to start messing about with glycol or even water.

You shouldnt even need to do that. Doesnt the seal plate on the bottom of most flooded fonts screw out? There's just a removable gasket in there that seals the glycol in. They have to be able to be disassembled to some degree, even though it's a complete ****, to replace the lines

Latest posts

Back