Can of goo not dissolved

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearbeerbare

Reaction score
Hi Team,

I'm a muppet and didn't dissolve/ stir the goo enough and it's sitting in the bottom of my fermenter. It's been in the about 4 days now and not showing much activity.

It's a red Irish ale with a can of liquid amber malt.

There is about 300ml of undissolved malt

It's in a fermentasarus so I could remove it if required.

Have I ruined my brew ?

You should be fine, the yeast will find the sugar. The lack of activity may be an issue though- is there krausen on top of the wort?

If theres no krausen, repitch another packet of hydrated yeast. S04 is probably a good dry yeast for an Irish Red. Then give it a shake to get it nice and mixed.

If adding extra yeast a"shake" not a stir. Is there any bubbling, condensation?
A lot of times the liquid malts don't reveal a lot of activity/Krause.

There was Krausen for about a day then it's disappeared.

There is a pressure kit on the fermentasarus so no bubbling is visable but there not much pressure in the fermentasarus

The pressure suppresses the krausen.
I would grab the fermenter at the top and rotate it in a circular fashion to make a whirlpool.
This may stir up the un dissolved goop.

Do not fear I did this not long ago myself. Wanted to test my new fermentasarus but did not want to possibly waste a full AG batch if I stuffed up first clean. So decided to run a kit+enhancer+old DME with some left over Amarillo hops i had and the same thing happened. Because I did not have the hot water in the bottom (like I used to when I started making kits) to mix it up with it did not mix properlly and the LME settled to the bottom. My recovery sequence went like this:
I panicked. this did nothing.
I stirred it. This also did nothing.
I thought about just tipping it out, realised this would also achieve nothing so...
I just waited and as Droppy said the yeast found the sugar. Minimal Krausen through the process and a very slow ferment even with me pitching two packs of rehydrated US05.

Turned out a nice kit beer. Just give it some time and see what happens then learn from it.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1504687847.892692.jpg
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1504687875.251404.jpg

Thanks for the wise words.

I was considering taking off the bottle and giving it a bit of a swirl to encourage it . Would that be recommended?

Can you leave the bottle on but upend the fermenter so it pours back into the main vessel?

The close the valve so ti doesn't flow back into the sediment trap. Then give it a good swirl.

Latest posts

Back