Can I Use My Welding Regulator For Kegging?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chappo1970

Piss off or Buy Me A Beer
Reaction score
I have a regulator from my Mig welder that spends about 99.7% of the year unused. Could I adapt it to be used for kegging? Means I could get an extra tap for the kegerator. I checked the reg out last night and there seems no apparent reason as the connections etc look exactly the same as the ones offered. Plus it has a flow meter as well which I think would be handy. Has anyone done this and was it successful?

When I bought my kegging system, the guy I bought it from said that the regulator was from from an oxy-acetylene torch. I remember him saying that he had it "rebuilt" for use with CO2. I think he said that the diaphragm had to be changed as they're supposed to be different depending on the gas. Not sure about what needs to be changed, but whatever it was, it worked with my system.

I have a regulator from my Mig welder that spends about 99.7% of the year unused. Could I adapt it to be used for kegging? Means I could get an extra tap for the kegerator. I checked the reg out last night and there seems no apparent reason as the connections etc look exactly the same as the ones offered. Plus it has a flow meter as well which I think would be handy. Has anyone done this and was it successful?
If it's a co2 reg there should be no problem give gas weld a call if you want to be 100% sure they sell co2 regs

I think you might find the thread wont fit on the CO2 gas bottle. You can buy another shaft that comes with a nut for about $40 from BOC.
The flow guage wont help you for kegging. That is only useful if you are injecting )2 into your wort. I don't think the flow guage will go low enough either, ie 2 L per min. You will need to replace it with a low pressure guage for about $20.
Once you do this you should be OK, but go and buy a new one on ebay or reputable seller and get a good dual guage regulator and you don't have to touch it.

I know this because I have done it. It is a PITA and won't save you the cash in the long run.

Don't let that put you off playing with it though, its the best way to learn!!

Sorry guys should have said I run both CO2 and Argon thru it.

Probably will take your Benno and call just to make sure

Cheers

You could technically use any weld reg to do the job. The problem like newguy said is the diaphragm. They are made of different materials as the gasses react with different types of rubber. If you don't have a CO2 Diaphragm in your reg there is a chance it could react giving you beer a funny taste. The diaphragms are easy the replace, you could do it yourself with no major effort!

Would my welding shop stock them? I have never ever changed a diaphram on a reg before because of different gas types. I have been welding and brazing for over 20 years and have always just swapped over the reg to the gas as the job and type of metal welding required. Not disputing it as I think it would be good thing regardless as I have run industrial grades gasses through it. My beers funky enough without extras :lol:

From what I have been told the only difference is CO2 is liquid and at lower pressure then Nitrogen or O2. The CO2 regulator has a different diaphragm in it for the lower pressure or put a different way the O2 regulator has a different diaphragm in it for the higher pressure. The high pressure gauge is different as well as some of the low sides are different for different uses.

The connector to the bottle is different also.

I was told the high pressure regulator will work on a low pressure tank.

Back