Can I Use Little Creatures Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rday

Reaction score
I'm interested in reusing the yeast from a bottle or two of Little Creatures, and I have searched around the forum and on Google, but I can't seem to find if this is doable or not. Has anyone done this with any success?

I'm interested in reusing the yeast from a bottle or two of Little Creatures, and I have searched around the forum and on Google, but I can't seem to find if this is doable or not. Has anyone done this with any success?

I asked this question at the brewery when I was last there and it is a completely different strain in the bottle. They use a lager yeast in LCPA bottles. The reason was something about the way this affected carbonation, IIRC finer bubbles. So unless you want to brew a lager, it appears not.

I think you will find LC beers are not bottle conditioned this is compounded as I understand that they heavily filter their beers therefore there is very, very little viable yeast, if any, to culture up a starter from. Not saying it's impossible but I would think it near impossible. I use S05 in Tony's LCBA clone and it's near a dead ringer. Also Clean Brewer uses S05 in his Scraps IPA which is a deadset Stimulius IPA clone. So maybe start there? The recipes are in the database.

Chap Chap

I think you will find LC beers are not bottle conditioned this is compounded as I understand that they heavily filter their beers therefore there is very, very little viable yeast, if any, to culture up a starter from.

I think the pale ale is bottle conditioned, as I mentioned above with a different strain (there's much less sediment in LCPA than in a coopers though). I didn't think the others were as the guy at the brewery specifically pointed the pale ale only out to me as having yeast sediment in the bottle. However, I'm happy to be corrected.

The Pale is definitely bottle conditioned. Knowing that you can recover the yeast from Coopers is what made me interested in trying it with Little Creatures when I noticed that there's yeast in there.

I don't think I'd bother when 'APA' yeast is so readily available.

Coopers yeast is a different matter.

I think the pale ale is bottle conditioned, as I mentioned above with a different strain (there's much less sediment in LCPA than in a coopers though). I didn't think the others were as the guy at the brewery specifically pointed the pale ale only out to me as having yeast sediment in the bottle. However, I'm happy to be corrected.

Nope I would think you are correct there Big. I must admit I was thinking long the Bright Ale and Pils lines and totally disregarded the pale ale as I'm not a big fan of it (Chappo runs for the flame suit). However IIRC you dead right about the lager yeast being used to bottle condition the Pale Ale. However I am 99.9% sure what I originally said stands for the above mentioned.

Chap Chap

US05 has given me good results in the past with a Coopers Pale Ale kit and Cascade hops for something close to LCPA.
I believe the OP was asking is it possible to culture the yeast and it appears that it would be possible to culture the Lager yeast they use for bottle conditioning. Especially if you was to use the yeast from the whole carton (I just finished my carton :( ). I cultured the yeast from a whole carton of Coopers Pale Ale stubbies and got good results in a Pale Ale.
The OP didn't say what he intended to brew with the yeast but it would be logical to assume he wanted to clone the brew.
If you want to brew a good pale ale I would recommend culturing the Coopers yeast and brewing my OZ Galaxy Pale Ale that's in the recipe database. Personally I think it's nicer than LCPA. :p

Also Clean Brewer uses S05 in his Scraps IPA which is a deadset Stimulius IPA clone

"Leftovers A.I.P.A" not scraps... :angry: ;) :lol: :p

Thanks for the recommendation anyhow Chap Chap..

CB

I think the bottling yeast in LCPA is 514, not something you would bother culturing.
MHB

I wouldnt assume that coopers yeast found in the bottle is the same as the primary fermentation yeast strain.

After talking to an ex head brewer, he would not answer a question that i asked about this.

By not answering this I assume it is different, as the beer is spun in a centrifuge to remove yeast prior to bottling.

My question to him was "are the bottles re-seeded with the same yeast strain before capping?"

He did not want to answer this........... you make your own decision.

(funny how the same amount of yeast is in every bottle..... hmmmm)

I wouldnt assume that coopers yeast found in the bottle is the same as the primary fermentation yeast strain.

After talking to an ex head brewer, he would not answer a question that i asked about this.

By not answering this I assume it is different, as the beer is spun in a centrifuge to remove yeast prior to bottling.

My question to him was "are the bottles re-seeded with the same yeast strain before capping?"

He did not want to answer this........... you make your own decision.

(funny how the same amount of yeast is in every bottle..... hmmmm)
Sorry daryl but what a load of bollocks!
Either that or Coopers tell tall tales on their own website and in emails received from their customer relations department.
Take the Virtual tour of the brewery HERE and take note of what is said at step 11 on the tour.

And the Email to Braufrau
Posted by: braufrau - Apr 22 2008, 06:47 PM
OK ... from the horses mouth (aka Frank at Coopers). Not sure why he's calling me Megan ... oh well!

G'day Megan, yes we are aware of this practice - in fact we encourage it
by providing a procedure for those wanting to culture our yeast from the
bottle. The same strain of yeast is used for seeding the bottles as for
primary fermentation. For a more detailed description of our procedures
do the virtual tour:
http://www.coopers.com.au/virtualBrewTour/default.php

Cheers,

Frank Akers
Customer Service
Coopers Brewery
461 South Road
Regency Park
SA 5010

Ph: 08 8440 1800

If you like the beer, you'll love the Club!

http://www.coopers.com.au

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, 20 April 2008 8:09 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: CSA yeast

Hi,

I'm sure you know that many homebrewers culture your yeast from CSA
and CPA bottles.
There is some debate whether the yeast in the bottles is the same as
that used for primary fermentation.
Can you tell us the truth please?

regards
Samantha

Cheers
Nige

I was under the impression LCPA used WLP001 for primary. Why deal with a dodgy culture when you can buy a vial of the stuff?

They use a proprietary fermentation strain and lager yeast for bottling. That info is straight from the brewers mouth.

US-05/WY1056/WLP001 is pretty similar to the main fermentation strain.

Cheers, Jim

Hi Rday,

I wouldn't worry about culturing a yeast for a beer like LCPA (even if the bottle strain was the same). Yeast character is pretty clean, US05 will give you the characteristics that you're after. Any differences (if any) are likely to be subtle and in my oppinion not worth the trouble of culturing up from the bottle.

A coopers pale ale is a different kettle of fish. It's very dependent on yeast as that's where it gets most of it's flavour.

Probably not the right thread to bring up the coopers bottling strain argument again as it's been discussed many times on other threads.

Cheers,
Al

Would appear the concensus is towards S05?

Whoopsie! Man, I nearly got it right? Pfffft!!! Leftovers? Scraps? Same same? No?

Great beer BTW wish I had some on tap now! :icon_drool2:

Yeh, same, same mate.... Bloody good anyhow for some scraps/leftovers thrown together... :D

Fruit Salad, Yummy Yummy... :p

Ive got some on Tap... HMMMMMM.. :lol: Not much though!!!!!

A while back there was a conversation had with one of the White Brothers who at the time hinted that an awful lot of WLP001 got shipped into Fremantle and didn't make it any further.
On a recent brewery tour though, the LC head brewer was fairly open, but said that the yeast was their own strain, kept in a yeast bank and they built it up on site to pitching size. Their final yeast propogator is the size of some Micro breweries kettle's.

Latest posts

Back