Can I Make Alcoholic Sarsperella?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoundrel

Reaction score
just recently ( as in its still in the fermenter) i put done a kit based ginger beer with afew different twists etc.
that got me thinking could I make an alcoholic version of sars. anyone able to help me?

just recently ( as in its still in the fermenter) i put done a kit based ginger beer with afew different twists etc.
that got me thinking could I make an alcoholic version of sars. anyone able to help me?

I had the same thought a while back but I don't think anyone has sourced any sarsaparilla bark in Australia. You'll be dealing with extracts most likely or cordials and mixing with a base alcohol, not very exciting as no brewing involved.

Murray Breweries have a Sarsaparilla Cordial made from the actual root bark and has an extremely authentic taste as it should. Only issue I have is it cost me $10 for a 700ml bottle for just cordial strength so you are looking at 3.5 litres all up of end product.

Bundaberg have put out a small less expensive bottle in a new line of cordials but I doubt it does not have the same quality taste. Very fake, uses molasses or similar burnt sugar flavour plus licorice root extract. Its 500ml and just over a third the cost which means with size shrinkage getting closer to half the cost but no comparison in taste to Murray Breweries and has a stronger strange nose to it.

No reason why you can't, I recall a BYO mag issue that looked at a range of hop substitute beers (root beers etc). I'll see if I can dig it up and get back to you

I used a kit (long ago) that could make either alcoholic or non-alcoholic sars. I don't know if it is still made.

From memory the difference between alcoholic and non-alcoholic was the amount of sugar added. I recall that it was pretty basic and the sars flavour was an extract (?) that (to me) tasted pretty weak in 21 litres.

Back