Can I (in Beersmith Or By Hand) Brew High Og To Water Down In Fermente

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxd

Reaction score
Hi

I hope this makes sense.

Whilst I have R&D budget, I would like to try a double (30 ltr higher OG) batch (that I can add water to my fermenter, like what happens with the St Peters FWRT) with my BIAB and 50 ltr urn.

I assume it's a 40 ltr brew recipe but only using the water required for a 30 ltr brew (hops may not factor like this)?

I have 2 x 15 litre cubes (ex FWRT), I would like to do a 30 litre batch that I can split into 2 15 ltr cubes. Then add 5 litre of water into the fermenter to ferment 20 ltrs and keg 19 ltrs.

So I think, the following (ignore number there just for examples)
If we assume my 20 litre batch is 1.055, color 12, ibu 22, I would assume I would need to do a 1.070, color -> 13 and ibu -> 24 to allow for the 5 litre of water I will add when I ferment.

Can this (as in the calculations etc..) be done in beersmith ?

I have used the upscale to adjust for different volumes but I don't believe this will do as I require as the hops don't work that way ?

thanks
Matt

I occasionally do my double batches using a concentrated boil.

30L with 10L of boiling water added at flameout to give me 2 x 20L into the fermenters.

If you are a no chiller then you simply add the cooled, boiled water when pitching.

I calculate the recipe based on a 40L batch then change the volume to 30L. Drop the efficiency down 5% points, tweak the bittering and malt to account for this.

Easy as.

great, thanks for that, I just wasn't sure if the hops would need to be adjust a little different as the water volume was lower ? But if it's close enough a little more or less colour or hops stuff won't be too bad.

I'm doing 2 of your recipes at the moment, the golden and the landlord, very eager to try, so thanks for that was well.

thanks
Matt

Or you can simply adjust your equipment settings from within the recipe to include x amount of top up water in the boiler section.

Andrew

great, thanks for that, I just wasn't sure if the hops would need to be adjust a little different as the water volume was lower ? But if it's close enough a little more or less colour or hops stuff won't be too bad.

I'm doing 2 of your recipes at the moment, the golden and the landlord, very eager to try, so thanks for that was well.

thanks
Matt

There will be some difference, but if you use your equipment setting as indicated in my previous post beersmith calculates the difference and you can just increase your hops to compensate.

Andrew

I will play.
thanks
Matt

Back