Can I Harvest Yeast If I Use Finings?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livewiremjk

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've Made a batch of Neill's Centenarillo Ale
(http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?autocom=recipedb&code=show&recipe=867)

It's been in the fermenting fridge now for almost 2 weeks at 17deg.
I've taken a couple of samples for the hydrometer and it's fairly cloudy.

I was thinking of using Finings to clear it up. I also want to harvest the Nottingham yeast I've pitched.

If I use Finings of some type to clear it, am I able to harvest the yeast?
Or am I better off cleaning up a second fermenter and racking the beer off the yeast and then adding Finings?

I've never actually harvested yeast, nor have I ever used finings.
I'm going to be bulk priming then bottling. Can I rack, add Finings, then prime in the secondary?

I've had a look thru the forums but I can't see anywhere that mentions both of these steps.

Last question.
Will finings do any thing for taste? Cause at the moment the samples are delightfully knee trembling.

Cheers

Mate, in our weather, the solution to your question is either 1. give it a couple more days or 2. Cold condition for a couple of days.

Nottingham is (from both the description and my experience) highly flocculent.

If you want it out of suspension, then cold conditioning will do the trick without finings. Leaving it a couple more days after you'd think it was done has always been a good thing to do in my experience.

If you want to go to the effort, rack it afterward to another fermenter for bottling, just to really leave it out of your bottles.

But I've always found that even without cold conditioning, a couple "extra" days and racking, are, in conjunction with its habit of forming a compact sediment, enough to get it out.

Goomba

Back