Can I Bring Hops And Yeast Into Australia?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretbrner

Reaction score
Hey,

I have been in America for a while, and moving to Newcastle on the 17th of Oct. I have accumulated quite a bit of grains, yeast, and hops over the past two years. Is it legal for me to bring the yeast and hops into oz? I have decided to give one of my mates here my grains as all combined its about 20 kilos. But thought I could bring my yeast and hops back home with me. I looked on the customs website, and it didnt say anything about it being illegal to bring either into Australia, and seemed ok if for home consumption. The hops are vacuumed packed, and the yeast is liquid, in the wyeast smack packs.

Anyone ever bring anything back home with them through customs? Is it fine?

Liquid yeast should be fine - just make sure you declare it.
Hops, as long as they are pellets you'll be fine, flowers are a definate no no. But again, make sure you declare everything.

cheers Ross

Hops might be an issue if it's flowers. If the grain is malted it shoudn't be a problem.

Pellet hops are fine, just make sure they're wrapped well and professionally. Customs will confiscate them if they're not wrapped properly.
Make sure the yeast is in original packaging and not able to explode in your bag etc.
And definately declare all of it!

Cheers!

Thanks. I have a few flowers of German Hallertauer. The rest are pellets. That's great to know. My mate would love Hallertauer.

Anyways, thanks for the info. I will put it on my list for declaration when I go through customs

Latest posts

Back