Can Anyone Recommend A Good Book On All Grain/brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick8882003

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone can recommend a *good* book on all grain? Does Robert Palmer go into much more detail in his print book?

I am at the stage where I want to design my own system (within reason as I am still quite green) So a book that cover all grain and the process would be great.

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a *good* book on all grain? Does Robert Palmer go into much more detail in his print book?

I am at the stage where I want to design my own system (within reason as I am still quite green) So a book that cover all grain and the process would be great.

The print version of John Palmer's How To Brew is (if you make sure you source it) now the 3rd edition, whereas the electronic one is the 1st.
It is a great read and worth every cent I paid for it, it shows the basics through to advanced stuff - updated a lot from the electronic version as well.

Another great read is Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels, this book doesn't teach any techniques as such but rather how to design your own recipes and details on the more popular styles.

Charlie Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing is also supposed to be very good, however I have not read this one...yet.

Charlie Papazian's Complete Joy of Homebrewing is also supposed to be very good, however I have not read this one...yet.

I started off with both of Papazian's books, but I wouldn't recommend them. They're a good & entertaining read, but they're rather short on good brewing knowledge/practice. For instance, his insistence that you pour boiling hot wort into a glass carboy is dangerous and his "gospel" opinion that you can't use twist-offs to bottle your brew is shite.

I started off with both of Papazian's books, but I wouldn't recommend them. They're a good & entertaining read, but they're rather short on good brewing knowledge/practice. For instance, his insistence that you pour boiling hot wort into a glass carboy is dangerous and his "gospel" opinion that you can't use twist-offs to bottle your brew is shite.

Not sure I agree with the first claim.

Excerpt from The Complete Joy of Homebrewing
3rd Edition Page 290:

CAUTION: If you are using a glass carboy for your fermenter, you must heat the glass sufficiently before adding hot wort to it. The shock of hot wort to cool glass will break the carboy. Never add boiling hot wort to a glass carboy.

Cant find any mention of twist-offs at all in this book.

Cheers,
Jake

"Brewing-Science and Practice" by Briggs, Boulton, Brookes and Stevens, for those that like some depth on the technical side.

Not sure I agree with the first claim.

In one or both of his books he has a picture of a carboy about 1/3 full of cold water and someone is pouring boiling wort from a partial batch into it. The twist offs thing I'm pretty sure he mentioned in both of his books, in several places.

Latest posts

Back