Can Any Friggies Lend Some Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjwhite5

Reaction score
Hi I scored a 600 litre chest freezer I was going to setup as a keg fridge, It was working, but when plugged in again it let out some smoke from the relay/box thing on the side of the compressor.

Question one, can that relay/box be replaced without an issue??

or

Question two, if not what is the likely cost to replace the compressor

Cheers

PJ

Well with a bit of research from the net and a bit of time, I found I could replace the starter/relay box at a cost of about $60 and a fan blade for $6.

Flashed up and all working well.

So in total I picked up a questionalble freezer for $50, put in $66 worth of parts, about 1 hour of time and I have a functional 614 litre chest freezer for about $120.

Pretty happy with that

PJ

Well with a bit of research from the net and a bit of time, I found I could replace the starter/relay box at a cost of about $60 and a fan blade for $6.

Flashed up and all working well.

So in total I picked up a questionalble freezer for $50, put in $66 worth of parts, about 1 hour of time and I have a functional 614 litre chest freezer for about $120.

Pretty happy with that

PJ

WHEN YOU PICKED UP YOUR FREEZER AND BROUGHT IT HOME DID YOU HAPPEN TO LAY IT ON ITS SIDE, AND DID YOU GIVE IT A COUPLE OF HOURS STANDING IN ITS RIGHT POSITION BEFORE YOU TRIED TURNING IT ON, YOU MAY HAVE GOT SOME OIL INSIDE THE COMPRESSOR IF YOU HAD IT LYING DOWN , THIS COULD CAUSE THE COMPRESSOR TO HAVE A TOO HIGH PRESSURE TO START .
FERGI

No. He really means it.

no just typing here in the dark.
fergi

Is it darker than usual because your monitor is turned off?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you don't know, so just a note that typing in all caps is seen as shouting and is considered somewhat rude on forums :)

Is it darker than usual because your monitor is turned off?

well you know some people on the net carry on about capital letters being used and to be honest they need to get a F###### life, it makes stuff all difference as to weather its caps or lower case, i guess its the teeny bopper syndrome coming out with nothing constructive in their lives to actually worry about other than F## caps on the net. THIS IS NOT INTENDED FOR PEAS N CORNS COMMENT AS I REALIZE his comment was just a throw away line not intended to be smart,
fergi

well you know some people on the net carry on about capital letters being used and to be honest they need to get a F###### life, it makes stuff all difference as to weather its caps or lower case, i guess its the teeny bopper syndrome coming out with nothing constructive in their lives to actually worry about other than F## caps on the net. THIS IS NOT INTENDED FOR PEAS N CORNS COMMENT AS I REALIZE his comment was just a throw away line not intended to be smart,
fergi

I don't mean to be rude but I'm pretty sure p&c is the one who is being somewhat serious (apologies to the man if incorrect) and I am the one being somewhat glib.

Enjoy ignorance.

Sorry, OP. Just intended a little joke not a derail. I won't comment any further.

Hi I scored a 600 litre chest freezer I was going to setup as a keg fridge, It was working, but when plugged in again it let out some smoke from the relay/box thing on the side of the compressor.

Question one, can that relay/box be replaced without an issue??

or

Question two, if not what is the likely cost to replace the compressor

Cheers

PJ
Can you tell me if on the compressor tag it say DANFOSS ? Sounds like you have done a solid state overload relay combination (common prob) if it is a Danfoss comp !
If it is this it can be fixed for about 30 bucks.
Happy to help with where the wires go if its a danfoss, let me know.

Riverside

Sorry, OP. Just intended a little joke not a derail. I won't comment any further.

thats ok bum, not really having a shot at you either in general, just that i have been on the net since 1990 and it used to drive me nuts when you left your caps on by mistake and you would get a whole hoard of people carrying on about "shouting". its makes no F# DIFFERENCE. and to be honest once you type something i cant be stuffed retyping it again, i have better things to do with my time than to bow to brain dead internet trolls with nothing else to comment on,you and peas were probably just in the wrong place at the right time when i happened to make the caps mistake, my apologies too if i flew off the handle for really no reason
cheers
fergi

Can you tell me if on the compressor tag it say DANFOSS ? Sounds like you have done a solid state overload relay combination (common prob) if it is a Danfoss comp !

Riverside

i know you are trying to help riverside but did you actually read his answer.
fergi

Riverside

Looks like it is already fixed mate.. Have a read of his second post.. I think he paid 60 bucks though :angry: Ripped :lol:

Thanks Guys,

After a lot of searching, 60 bucks was the cheapest I could find. 47 bucks in the states or 37 pound in the UK. Either way a 614 litre cheast freezer in good nick for 120 bucks I am more then happy.

Yes it was a Danfoss compressor an early R12 model. the guy I got if off said it hadn't been turned on for about 5 months. It wasn't layed on its side. It just looks like the starter/relay box was damaged.

Cheers

PJ

whats $30 between freinds when you've scored a (now) working 600L chesty for little over $100!

Good job!

You will have to pay a carbon tax from the government if you let out that R12 gas.lol Fridges these days use 134A

Andrew

well to get back on topic. if it was the compressor you chuck it. they are 99% of thr cost of the freezer. a new compressor for my old 700L chesty was $1000 just for the compressor, not incl labour or other install parts (a brand new 700L chesty is about $1400). old chesty are also damn hard to re-rig. most freezer blokes will tell you its not worth their time or in some cases impossible to fix.

so you've done well. the issue with my chesty turned out to be the starter as well. $160 for a fridgy to get the part and install. not bad at all.

This is why when I build I'm having a cellar and cool room :p

*continues dreaming*

Back