Camping with kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's meant to say - Or make your own cooler like this. Stupid phone. Anyway link seems to work.

tqgSITK.jpg

It's a 60 lt Techni Ice cooler that I built an insulated top for. Holds 2 x 19lt kegs plus the gas bottle.

Just need to refill the ice every day or two.

koolkuna said:
I have a 80 litre Waeco fridge which I use for food supplies and a rotational 6 pack of coopers Sparkling. Could I put a chiller plate at the bottom without too much disruption.
Just put it in the fridge, pluto gun and gas then your set!

Even easier solution is a willow 60l garbage bin. Throw your keg/s in it, top with ice and away you go. Wrap it in space foil or a car windshield sun reflector to insulate better.

Well thanks guys problem solved I'm going to buy a Techniice Drink Dispenser 35L. I already use a Pluto gun. I have a co2 cartridge adapter for the keg. Happy Days [emoji106]. All I need is ice. It would be handy to have a pressure gauge for the co2 adapter. Because at the moment it is a hit and miss affair. Pour a beer then a couple of squirts of co2. Can you buy a pressure gauge to screw on after the disconnect??

20161005_112532.jpg20161005_112616.jpgI use this from cheap as chips ($20) and put in cold packs. A flat one on the bottom and others around. sorry for side on photo, also have co2 connection with bulb for dispensing.
cheers

Black n Tan where did you buy the Techniice Drink Dispenser 35L from and the mini regulator?? I want the same setup. What size co2 cartridges do you use and how long do they last just to purge the 9litre corny??

Mini Reg probably from ibrew, but a lot of us picked them up in the mini keg bulk buy, there is currently another buy running check the bulk buy thread.

Black n Tan said:
I am currently camping and I have a 9l keg in a techni ice circular drink esky with a tap through the wall. Works a treat and I replace the ice every 3-4 days.
Do you know how many litres that is Black n Tan?

I picked up my 9L corny for $60 last year, it has been very handy, fits upright in my 55L esky next to snags/bacon :)

I also noticed that the 9L keg fits almost perfectly (with some slight stanley knife-work) in a dense polystyrene box that I had stored in the shed. Not sure what came in it, possibly meat from an online butcher, but at 1.5in thickness all around it should do nicely for a camping keg setup (I will find out in a couple of weeks). Maybe something to keep an eye out for if you have cold food deliveries.

koolkuna said:
Black n Tan where did you buy the Techniice Drink Dispenser 35L from and the mini regulator?? I want the same setup. What size co2 cartridges do you use and how long do they last just to purge the 9litre corny??
nosco said:
Do you know how many litres that is Black n Tan?
Looks like the 35L drink dispenser https://www.techniice.com/ice-boxes/drink-dispenser.html

the technice unit is probably better and a bit roomier but I used a coleman cooler for my 9L:

now got a jockey box and ultimately the better long term solution- works with all sizes of kegs and you can get 2+ taps at once!

Bones99 said:
Even easier solution is a willow 60l garbage bin. Throw your keg/s in it, top with ice and away you go. Wrap it in space foil or a car windshield sun reflector to insulate better.
I did this over Xmas with a 19L corny. In northern NSW three bags of ice would be luke warm within 24 hours. Good for a party, useless for long term camping situation.

As for 9L as per Rambo, I use a cooler bag from bunnies. Except one night I was dragging it around wasted and one of the legs broke off. Now it doesnt stand up straight & needs propping up. Bit like me that night.

The techniice drink dispenser is 35l. I use a micromatic flow control Rota-tap flow control tap and a Leland reg with 74 g bottle. I get several kegs dispensed from one bottle. All bought when the dollar was doing better.

buckerooni said:
the technice unit is probably better and a bit roomier but I used a coleman cooler for my 9L:

now got a jockey box and ultimately the better long term solution- works with all sizes of kegs and you can get 2+ taps at once!
Pics of jocky box please, with a cold plate or coil.

On topic tho my 5litre kegs fit inside my 3 way fridge but a 5litre is easy to drink on your own so it's only good for 1 day. I need to build a jocky Box so I can take a corny away. But I get sick of the same beer to, I like to mix my drinks.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483961110.329847.jpg
Found this pic on google it's from someone on ahb you can use just about any insulated container, drums ect old chest freezer just keep up the ice.

Latest posts

Back