Camping with kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolkuna

Reaction score
I have a 9 litre corny keg I want to take camping over January I plan to fill with homebrew and enjoy while away. I'm at a loss of how to keep it cold. What's the simplest way of chilling to enjoy for a week?
Any advise or pictures would be appreciated.

I have a 9 litre corny keg I want to take camping over January I plan to fill with homebrew and enjoy while away. I'm at a loss of how to keep it cold. What's the simplest way of chilling to enjoy for a week?
Any advise or pictures would be appreciated.

How far will you be from more ice?

I have a 80 litre Waeco fridge which I use for food supplies and a rotational 6 pack of coopers Sparkling. Could I put a chiller plate at the bottom without too much disruption.

I use a cooler bag like this with a soda stream bottle and a bronco tap. Super simple but does need to be topped up with Ice every couple of days. Would work better with a proper esky and still be pretty simple. I wouldn't think the fridge would get the chiller cold enough.

9 litre keg for a week.? It'll cost you more on ice/ cold packs to keep it cold. With no disrespect as general esky sizes don't accomodate that size keg, and you'll need a tap/ gas for dispensing, I'd buy cans and put in an esky with ice and enjoy your brew when you get home.

Am I seeing double as I just replied to the same topic and question from same member???

9 litre keg for a week.? It'll cost you more on ice/ cold packs to keep it cold. With no disrespect as general esky sizes don't accomodate that size keg, and you'll need a tap/ gas for dispensing, I'd buy cans and put in an esky with ice and enjoy

Ha ha copied! You had me going cause your right, "having a few" , it's 40 plus second day here in Adelaide, so...........lets party

I'm going camping next week... I'll be drinking a combination of Xmas leftovers, keg king growlers and soft drink bottles with a carb cap. All legitimate alternatives.

grott said:
Ha ha copied! You had me going cause your right, "having a few" , it's 40 plus second day here in Adelaide, so...........lets party
Going out in solidarity with you right now brother:)

Yeah I've had the keg for awhile. It's in the fridge dispensing soda water for mixing drinks. Thought there could be a simple solution. Purchased some Coopers Sparkling to take camping [emoji554]️ next week. Easy in the Waeco. Just miss my own brew when I'm away. Maybe I could purchase a KK growler one day and dispense keg to growler then put the growler each day in the fridge?? Or just forget the whole idea and drink Coopers until I get back [emoji57]

Seen many set ups.

The best in my opinion is a jockey box, either with a chill plate or coil.

Try keep the kegs cool and have the jockey full of ice.

Dispensing warm beer into a growler will foam out everywhere and the little liquid left will be flat and farked.

For that volume of beer / consumption I'd , fill growlers and/or soft drink bottles with a carb cap cold. Then seal, you can let these then rise to room temp , and when away just chill one each night as required. Make sure you chill them right down before opening up, over night is best.this is what I do for one or 2 night trips but the mini kegs have been a game changer for me....

For larger volumes, do what I just did on my 2 week camp away over Christmas .

I took 2 x 19 ltr and 2 x 9 ltr cornies, filled ,carbed up and cold out of my kegerator. Squirted another 30 psi of gas into them, and packed them in my caravan . They came upto room temp and were at about 28 psi give or take.

When at the camp site, each day I took one of my 5 ltr mini ball lock kegs, purged and pressurised it to 28 psi using my soda stream gas, I sat the supply keg on a table, mini on ground. Then did the pressure transfer as described in the forums but at 28 psi and room temp. I had a fair idea what the 5 ltr mini felt like when nearly full, but one day i did over fill it and the beer went into the gas return line, no biggie. Still worked a treat.
Un click jumper lines, supply keg put back in caravan annex then mini into fridge or iced up esky. I took 2 minis and had one chilling in fridge and one been used, this way I always had one ready to go and it had time to properly chill back down and reasorb the co2 back into solution.

Also, you only need to purge the mini once and pressurise to roughly same pressure as supply keg, as each time you empty a mini, leave it out and the pouring pressure co2 in it, it will be fine for days like this, then when ready to transfer fill it, presurise it upto 28-30 psi again which is 5 psi under the relief valve rating, transfer and chill down.

No mess or fuss, took like 5 mins in the morning to fill one, I usually filled 2 and was set for a few days....

I've taken kegs many times camping over the years, first used to take a couple of 9 ltr ones, but large deep esky and lots of ice was needed plus I only had 2 9ltr cornies so was enough for 2 guys for 2 weeks as I always go with bro in law and family, next I took my jocky box and used this with 19 ltr cornies, worked well, but used lots of ice, these mini kegs and higher pressure warm beer transfer is the shit, perfect no fuss, and only one bag of ice each night or less if using it in the fridge I take, my bro inlaw buys the ice and I let him drink my beers :)

This worked a treat, same quality and carb as at home. My brother in law and me went through a 5 ltr mini each arvo/ night but we were in holidays so why not lol.

Problem now is that the other 2 blokes we were camping with were starting to get into them as well lol,next Christmas I've been told to bring enough for them, I'll have to take like 6 cornies, I've told them to start buying the prawns, and I'll bring the beers :)

Have fun....

I am currently camping and I have a 9l keg in a techni ice circular drink esky with a tap through the wall. Works a treat and I replace the ice every 3-4 days.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483783184.599269.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483783216.127847.jpg

Back