Camp Oven Cooking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good tip too is to get a cake cooling tray that fits into the bottom of your camp oven. Especially for cooking big pieces of meat, prevents it from getting burnt by sitting on the bottom...
It is called a trivet.

Mmmmmmm....Winter = Camp ovens and fires :)
Summer, Winter, who cares! Camp oven cooking rocks. When I lived in central western Queensland I used to cook camp oven food in the backyard. Now I am in metropolitan Adelaide, it is but a distant memory. :angry:
Occasionaly I am out bush enough to be able to crank the camp oven. As for metropolitan camp ovens, it is not the same when you put it in the oven (e.g. La Cruseut doesn't have the same ring or taste).

When I do my camp oven fire, it takes me a day to get it ready. Trick is to get a good bed of coals as I like to bury them in the ground

I allways dig a hole and put a layer of coals , then dirt, then the camp oven, fill in around the oven with a mix of coals and dirt, and place a few coals on top.

I would get a big one, that way you can put vegies in with your meat.

I allways put about 1" of water in the oven to slow the cooking and stop it burning.

The trick is to keep the heat long and slow.

Camp ovens are really no differnt to cooking in a covered oven dish

Using this procedure how long would one expect to take to cook something like a 1.5kg roast?

Using this procedure how long would one expect to take to cook something like a 1.5kg roast?

Depends, but 2hrs should do it, but can be longer. Camp ovens cook different to a regular oven, first up they steam as well as roast, thats why you need water in them.
Secondly is they cook a lot more gently and slower due to the heat being retained in the ground and coals

Summer, Winter, who cares! Camp oven cooking rocks. When I lived in central western Queensland I used to cook camp oven food in the backyard. Now I am in metropolitan Adelaide, it is but a distant memory. :angry:

You live in SA you have some of the best camping in Australia on your doorstep WTF are you complaining about?
I have to drive 3 hours just to get past the housing estates.

9qt is a good sized camp oven to start with

Spent the weekend at Beechworth with a fellow brewer and mate, first night there was camp oven chickens and veggies.

Great tucker.

just getting the hang of the camp oven cooking now, i've done some shanks that turned out ok and a couple of roasts

roast.jpg

we've been doing a bit of camping so i knocked up this for the oven, it's a 9 gallon keg that i got from the local tip for $10

hogrocket.jpg

hog22.jpg

hog21.jpg

hogrocket2.jpg

cheers

we've been doing a bit of camping so i knocked up this for the oven, it's a 9 gallon keg that i got from the local tip for $10

Dude!

We are not worthy. :super:

Haha cheers bloke, it was awesome on it's first trip during the winter, it throws some heat :)

ha from that last pic it looks like it would melt rock but with the door shut it get's a nice controlled burn which suits the oven.

Cracking out my camp oven today. What a cracker of a day it is. Cant wait to be sitting around the fire, cooking a roast chook, roast vegies and knocking back a few home brews with the brother in law and dog. (The dog appreciates that last 3ml of my beer in his own bowl.)

Australia really is the lucky country. :beerbang:

Perfect campoven roast potatoes;

large can Tiny Taters
coat with chilli salt flour.

Shallow fry in oil in pan or in camp oven in a little oil.

Chilli salt;
mix 4 parts plain flour
1 part salt
1 part hot chilli powder in a bag and shake.

Perfect for spuds, chicken wings, prawns, squid ect.

Sounds great. I've got the fire roaring now, should have some nice coals in about 90 minutes to start the cook up. Great way to spend a Saturday arvo.

I usually do the meat on a spit and veggies in the camp oven. One tip I can offer is to put the veggies in ( spuds punkin kumera carrots ) and season with whatever, then spread bacon over the top of it all, along with some kind of greenery. Parsley rosemary and spinach is favorite for me.
Makes for a tasty camping feast... Of course the chef needs extra hydration, what with working so close to the fire and all...

Latest posts

Back