Calypso

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bomber1975

Reaction score
Just placed an order with Hops Direct and saw a hop called Calypso Hop the specs for it are as follows:

Calypso Pellet Hop

Alpha Acid 12.0%
Dual Purpose Hop
Pleasant, fruity aroma, with hints of pear and apple
Typical Brewing Styles: Ales, Stouts and Barley Wines

Calypso hops are a dual purpose hop that was originally bred from the Nugget hop varietal.

Complex aroma of lemons, tart apples, cherry blossoms, black pepper, bitter orange, mint & pear. Flavour is a robust mix of citrus & stonefruit.

Sounds nice was wondering if anyone had tried them before? I've never heard of them. I ordered a pound and am looking forward to boiling some up when they arrive. :)

Cool. please post experience. Must be pretty damn new, I've not seen it, and I've looked at their website recently and only saw the sonnet as a new variety.

ed: android spelling

Just placed an order with Hops Direct and saw a hop called Calypso Hop the specs for it are as follows:

Calypso Pellet Hop

Alpha Acid 12.0%
Dual Purpose Hop
Pleasant, fruity aroma, with hints of pear and apple
Typical Brewing Styles: Ales, Stouts and Barley Wines

Sounds nice was wondering if anyone had tried them before? I've never heard of them. I ordered a pound and am looking forward to boiling some up when they arrive. :)
hi mate, have you tried these hops out yet. i got my half pound from niko today but not sure where to head with them style wise. maybe in a good apa with a nice big charge in the cube?

hi mate, have you tried these hops out yet. i got my half pound from niko today but not sure where to head with them style wise. maybe in a good apa with a nice big charge in the cube?

No I haven't had a chance yet I get home on the 31st and was just going to do a basic extract recipe and see how it tasted and maybe work from there :icon_cheers:

i got my half pound from niko today but not sure where to head with them style wise. maybe in a good apa with a nice big charge in the cube?

I'd try a simple smash beer, maybe 10g @ 40min, 10g @ 20min, 10g @ flameout (i'm a no chiller), and maybe dry hop 1g/Lt and see how you go.

I do this for my very basic but intoxicating Nelson Sauvin smash and it comes up a treat.

This would at least give you a starting point to see how it goes, and if you need to wary of overdoing it in future.

I'd do the same, but would probably up it to 20-30g at each addition :ph34r: ...

:icon_offtopic: Not wanting to start a shit storm, but seeing as there is little opinion from brewers who've used this hop, i would be really cautious about doing this....Quick plug in to some software indicates that this type of hop schedule will deliver 40+ IBU's of bitterness. Now i know that's not necessarily crazy, and i have no experience with this hop at all, i wouldn't do it.

I did a NS smash recently and decided to up the IBU's a little, and all i got was fruit salad. It was F#!$%n awful, and Nelson Sauvin is my favourite hop. If Calypso is reported to throw fruity flavours too, i'd be real hesitant to adventure anything past 25-30 IBU's until someone has a strong opinion on it's qualities...

:icon_offtopic: Not wanting to start a shit storm, but seeing as there is little opinion from brewers who've used this hop, i would be really cautious about doing this....Quick plug in to some software indicates that this type of hop schedule will deliver 40+ IBU's of bitterness. Now i know that's not necessarily crazy, and i have no experience with this hop at all, i wouldn't do it.

I did a NS smash recently and decided to up the IBU's a little, and all i got was fruit salad. It was F#!$%n awful, and Nelson Sauvin is my favourite hop. If Calypso is reported to throw fruity flavours too, i'd be real hesitant to adventure anything past 25-30 IBU's until someone has a strong opinion on it's qualities...

Each to their own. I've done 10g bittering, then 30g @ 20, 10 and 0 with new hops. It was hoppy and bitter, but I loved it.

Also, not wanting to start a shit storm, what is wrong with 40+ IBU?

Nothing at all. Providing there is enough malty goodness to back it up. I've made heaps of beers that have been this high and higher, loved them too.

It's just that some hops can be more overpowering than others, and if it's a high AA% fruity hop that few brewers have experience with yet, i'd be inclined to exercise a little caution.
Doing this means you can always add more bitterness/flavour/aroma later if it comes out on the low side, but once you overdo hop usage, it's a different keggle of fish.

I've made beers that were too hoppy at 25IBU's, and beers that were not hoppy enough at 40. For me it's about balance within the style that i'm brewing.

Cant wait for an update on this thread. I'm super curious about these new hops as well.

At least one place here in the States is selling a recipe kit (Golden Ale) using Magnum hops as well, but I cant find a full recipe (of course).

Cant wait for an update on this thread. I'm super curious about these new hops as well.

At least one place here in the States is selling a recipe kit (Golden Ale) using Magnum hops as well, but I cant find a full recipe (of course).

From Ross' website: Very clean bittering hop & so smooth. A firm favourite of ours.
Similar aroma to Willamette, so great in dark beers & IPA's.

It's the bittering hop in his rendition of Stone Brewing's Ruination IPA. 75g (2.64 ounces) in a 23L (6 Gallon) Batch. I'm giving it a run on my next brewday.

Well I finally got around to putting down my brew yesterday. I went with

2 X Cans of LME
300g Dextrose

and my hops additons were:

12g @ 45 Mins
15g @ 20 Mins
15g @ flameout

That gave me an IBC of 32 i think OG was 1044 and is happily bubbling away in my Laundry right now :)

Seeing as I was trying out new things and didn't feel like cooking hops all day, I also grabbed one of the just add water Deliverence kits (The James Squire Amber ale clone) and dry hopped 20g Willamette in there. I will let you know how I go when I finally get to sample both the brews.

On an unrelated matter I had to tip my first brew yesterday :( (A Doctor Smurto Golden Ale) It made it all the way to the keg got conditioned but I think one of my kids opened the relief valve and left it open whilst I was away there were floaties all through the numerous glasses I poured :icon_vomit:

Ive used them in a few brews.
Did a smash mo 4% alc 2112? ( californis steam ) with @60 ibu, very clean bitterness.
The best combo was in a saison, see nudist saison in recipe db.
Has some citrus overtones unlike the usual c hops. Also a nice spice component with black pepper. Not a lot of the apple and pear.
Chhers
Sean

This hop is amazing! You should check out the Apocalypso IPA by Illawarra Brewing Co from Wollongong. Great fruit character that makes such a pleasant IPA. I would really like some if there is come going or people want to do a group buy. One of the most pronounced hops I've tried for a while. A definite crowd pleaser!

Hmmm This is next planned brew hop.. going to do an IPA ~55-60 IBU Simcoe bittering to 20 IBU then Calypso at the following

20g 10 min
20g 5 min
20g Whirlpool

smells pretty damn good in the packet so I can only hope it comes through into the finished beer :icon_chickcheers:

I did a APA with20g simcoe @ 60min,40g calypso at 20 min and 30g dry hopped keg for 4 days .

Awesome beer, had a stone fruit flavour. Very sessionable!

Does anyone know where to buy some calypso hops at the moment?

Latest posts

Back