Calling All 1028 Users

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Bond

Reaction score
As an inveterate tight arse I recently cultured up the sediment from 2 stubbies of MG hightail,washed it and cultured it up again to a litre size starter.
Pitched it into a hybrid Pale ale for kicks.
All my research has led me to believe that this yeast is 1028 as the goat boys don't filter/pasteurise and bottle condition.
I PM'd the weizguy for some sage advice about 1028 and forged ahead.

pitched in @ 20c and let it come down to around the 16c mark in a well aerated wort.Kicked over and started on the job pretty much on the 24 hr mark.temp rose to 18 c and settled out and remained between 18 and 20c (no higher)for the next 4 days.
Initially it was a fruity/appley ale like smell,but after 24 hours in to primary it started pumping out sulphur in a big way.I wasn't overly concerned as I've used other ale strains that do this in the past,just not expecting it from an english ale strain.
Given the sulphur output i figured I'd treat it like a lager strain and do a diacetyll rest.Day five I gave it a swirl/rouse and brought it up to 22 ish and let it go.
Today(day 9) I racked it to 2ndary.
A cursory taste has it still showing mild sulphur on the nose,Flava is grainy and green with a bready yeasty undertone(to be expected with the yeast still in suspension),but none the less clean and crisp.
The last time I experienced these aromas and flavas was when I used 2565 kolsch(about 3 years ago).

what i'd like to know from experienced users of this strain is,Are these typical characteristics of this strain or am i possibly dealing with a different yeast altogether?The wyeast blurb says minerally profile which I'm thinking could come from such a sulphury strain.Should I have lifted primary temps to over 20c maybe?
The MG pale ale that i tried recently(1028 as well)certainly had a cleaner less fruity finish than say a cooper PA.

Any thought or input most welcome.

Dave

As an inveterate tight arse I recently cultured up the sediment from 2 stubbies of MG hightail,washed it and cultured it up again to a litre size starter.
Pitched it into a hybrid Pale ale for kicks.
All my research has led me to believe that this yeast is 1028 as the goat boys don't filter/pasteurise and bottle condition.
I PM'd the weizguy for some sage advice about 1028 and forged ahead.

pitched in @ 20c and let it come down to around the 16c mark in a well aerated wort.Kicked over and started on the job pretty much on the 24 hr mark.temp rose to 18 c and settled out and remained between 18 and 20c (no higher)for the next 4 days.
Initially it was a fruity/appley ale like smell,but after 24 hours in to primary it started pumping out sulphur in a big way.I wasn't overly concerned as I've used other ale strains that do this in the past,just not expecting it from an english ale strain.
Given the sulphur output i figured I'd treat it like a lager strain and do a diacetyll rest.Day five I gave it a swirl/rouse and brought it up to 22 ish and let it go.
Today(day 9) I racked it to 2ndary.
A cursory taste has it still showing mild sulphur on the nose,Flava is grainy and green with a bready yeasty undertone(to be expected with the yeast still in suspension),but none the less clean and crisp.
The last time I experienced these aromas and flavas was when I used 2565 kolsch(about 3 years ago).

what i'd like to know from experienced users of this strain is,Are these typical characteristics of this strain or am i possibly dealing with a different yeast altogether?The wyeast blurb says minerally profile which I'm thinking could come from such a sulphury strain.Should I have lifted primary temps to over 20c maybe?
The MG pale ale that i tried recently(1028 as well)certainly had a cleaner less fruity finish than say a cooper PA.

Any thought or input most welcome.

Dave

I probably do 80% of my beers with recultured (fresh everytime) beer from MG PA bottles, never had it throw sulfur ever, i aways pitch at about 14-18 and heat rapidly to 18

Dave
I have used 1028 a bit, not heaps, but have never had it throw sulfur. One of my IPA's (july case swap one, no less) had a very storng minerally flavour, but never sulfur. I have read before that the Thames Valley one puts out some unusual smells, so possibly it could be that? I hope not, cause that is the next british yeast I am trying! Anyway, it certainly doesnt sound like any of my experiences with 1028 (8 brews, from memory), so maybe it is a different strain.
All the best
Trent

That sounds much more like 1275 than 1028, never had 1028 do anything like that. Chris White mentioned in a talk that sulfur smells means the yeast is stressed and is trying to create reducing conditions to improve yeast health. Lager yeasts produce sulfur because they dont actually like being that cold at all.

Brau,

I've had 1028 give some sulphur at it's low end. That particular brew was a fairly light Aussie style Pale Ale and that's when I noticed the classic minerally finish as well.
I've used 1028 at lot. I've pushed it pretty much to the end of its reasonable life - still in use with crude washing techniques over 18 months old - and it's stayed pretty sturdy.
My minimum ferment for it is 18C. Your flavours may clear but I no longer use it for any ales at the light end of the flavour scale. It works better with bigger and/or maltier beers for mine.

Sounds like you may have a Mutant on your hands. Not nessaseraly a bad thing though, just depends whether you like the resulting brew ;)

MMMMMMM. maybe a kolsch like blonde ale more so than a pale ale in the end.

One thing i have found with sulphury ale yeasts is that they all produce exceptional beers with at least 3 months conditioning.Could be a tasty drop for christmas.
I've collected some slurry to wash and keep as a bank deposit based on the long term results of this brew.
The last 18 months have been US 56,wy 3333, and coopers reculture, so this could be quite a radical change taste wise for me.
I remember early tastings of 2565 were not really exciting ,but aging produced some thing worth while.

Brau,

I've had 1028 give some sulphur at it's low end. That particular brew was a fairly light Aussie style Pale Ale and that's when I noticed the classic minerally finish as well.
I've used 1028 at lot. I've pushed it pretty much to the end of its reasonable life - still in use with crude washing techniques over 18 months old - and it's stayed pretty sturdy.
My minimum ferment for it is 18C. Your flavours may clear but I no longer use it for any ales at the light end of the flavour scale. It works better with bigger and/or maltier beers for mine.

Yeah this is mega pale,ie JW ex pils,puffed wheat, no specialty grains.Challenger to bitter and saaz for flava and aroma.Nowhere for any oddballs to hide.If it comes out clean its gonna be a kick arse blonde!If the yeast is iffy its gonna be a "add lime juice" summer ale.

Well 12 days in secondary has seen this beer clear considerably and improve flava wise.
Not a skerrick of sulphur to be found and the muddy/yeasty notes have almost dissipated behind the hops.
taste up front is light malt(blond ale like) with a mild grassy note,but more evident is a big lemony zing(could this be the minerally profile in concert with the challenger/saaz combo?).
Certainly a different kettle of fish than I'm used to, but worth the fun of experimentation any ways.
Plannin to bottle into stubbies and condition for a lengthy period to let the yeast pack down for a single action clean pour come summer.

Put some into a PET bottle for me and I'll let ya have one of of my Mutant Belgian American Wheat beers. :beer:

pm me if keen!!!! :super:

Got some malt for a monster beer and decided to split the malt between a Golden Ale (Belgique) and 24l of an American wheat with 35% wheat, Weyermann Pils and BoPils malts with Cascade and Amarillo with US56 on top.

Gonna be a Summer beer like yours. :beerbang:

Seth (one more mouthful of ESB Belgian raspberry freshwort with W Belgian II - Rochefort, and it's bed) out :p

Back