3068 Vs Saf Dried Wheat Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread Trent et al. :)

I've got 42 litres of double decocted weissbier that I plan to pitch some WB-06 into today.

My plan of attack is to pitch at 14 degrees in the hope of cold shocking the yeast a little. Will warm it up to 18 degrees for the first day and maybe push it to the early 20s to finish it off.

I'll report my findings. Obviously I'm now not expecting the same beer as I would from Wy. 3068 (which I love BTW) but a different but hopefully no less enjoyable beer.

Warren -

Hi Warren,

I don't think 14 degrees will cold shock it at all. If you plan to pitch a dry yeast that cool, make sure you rehydrate it first.

MFS

Trent,

My initial impression of the WB-06 is that it's quite balanced, but muted.

I brewed at 17-19 C. I do detect some banana and little clove but no bubblegum.

More feedback to come after the sampling on Friday night. I'll get your opinion then, Trent.

Overall, brewable and drinkable for a no-nonsense low-impact weissbier for session consumption in bottles or off the tap (mine was bottled about 10 days ago).

Maybe the NSW State comp judging will provide some more WB-06 feedback for a few brewers on this forum? Please pass your feedback on here, gals/guys/gender-neutrals.

Seth out :p

have used the 3068 a lot and love it.

used the WB-06 and thought it was infected it tasted so bad. Put some in a bottle in the fridge and it was not infected. It was so megga clove that it teally turned my nose up. tipped out 50 liters of beer ....... not infected but not to taste......... nowhere near it. Not a bananna in site and thats what i like wheat beer. Banana, not 10 tonnes of clove.

Will stick with te 3068 i think.

cheers

I had something very similar happen to me in a weizenbock, but I didn't think to try chilling some to taste it then.

Back