Byo Magazine Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some crystals are more equal than others, as George Orwell would say.

Weyermann publish a lager recipe with 50% Caramunich here.

In fact, the maximum suggested amounts for all their crystal malts are pretty high, which made me ask a similar question to this thread here.

In fact, the maximum suggested amounts for all their crystal malts are pretty high, which made me ask a similar question to this thread here.

And it's got a 70 degree mash! That beer would be like drinking liquid caramel.

I sincerely hope it's a mis-translation or a typo and they actually meant Munich II...

i'm with drsmurto. i go out of my way to avoid crystal malt personally. i just don't like sweet beers much.
a lot of old recipes from 1990s hbd etc seem to go heavy on the crystal too. back when amber ales were considered artisanal.
i'm not a fan of the sort of american IPA or APA that "balances" out lots of high AA hops with lots of toothcoating crystal malt flavour. it's like adding sugar to your spag bol, if you use good tomatoes you shouldnt need it.

From that web page: "This recipe was developed and pilot brewed by Ray Daniels, author of Designing Great Beers."

Oh, I understand that Ray is an American, too. :p
It certainly appears to be a misprint/misquote/mistype/mistake.

Hmm, I might brew some for my kids instead of fizzy cordial for Christmas.

Back