BWS's Idea Of Beer Categories

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bum said:
I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice, of course - I myself almost never by a beer at a restaurant due to limited range. But I'm not talking about what I think is good or "Right", just looking at the situation from a non-beer-enthusiast's eyes.

Say you own a restaurant. Say there's no expressed demand for a product - do you spend extra on replacing a known entity with an unknown hoping to change the mind of an ignorant audience and risk having it impact negatively on your main product?
It's good to see these days a few places are trying with an odd tap of something different.
Sure they need the sales of the favourites for the megaswill crowd.

bum said:
I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice, of course - I myself almost never by a beer at a restaurant due to limited range. But I'm not talking about what I think is good or "Right", just looking at the situation from a non-beer-enthusiast's eyes.

Say you own a restaurant. Say there's no expressed demand for a product - do you spend extra on replacing a known entity with an unknown hoping to change the mind of an ignorant audience and risk having it impact negatively on your main product?
Bum, sir, as I have repeatedly said - it's not hard to have a fair amount from column 'A' and a little bit from column 'B' - particularly if you're a decent restaurant or bar.

There was a time in Australia, not that long ago, when wine lists were similar to the majority of struggling beer menus that we encounter these days.

God bless my experiences in the USA, where not only do most half-decent restaurants have a good spread of commercial mega-swill AND craft beer... but it's on tap.

A smart entrepeneur creates demand rather than panders to it.
Think of the future and invest in it (or even have a hand in creating it).

Bum doesn't live in Queensland. That's all.

Well, actually, people are sheep, if it wasn't there, ain't nobody gonna order. Put it on there, add a descriptor or two and see it sell.
I've served a warm bottle of beer to an Asian chick a few weeks ago. The seller was the word 'organic' on the label. MG 'organic' steam ale. I have a lot of admiration for both their beer and their creativity ;) it's all about the marketing. Do you really think the masses can taste a difference between new, crown(piss), Hahn or whatever other bland sweet lager. Maybe a VB or a bitter, yea. But then again, to quote you, we aren't talking in context there. Let's give you an example of ordering wine in an alpine lodge in Austria, the host offered me a choice of Italian or Austrian, with tasters. I ended up liking the local wine. Now, this was where 99% of the tables ordered beer (and it's great beer). Wine is a slow mover and everything is hard to get up there, but still, the host was trying and it was appreciated.

If only the pig headed restauranters here gave half a shit about anything. I'd give you a full point for pointing out 'wrong country'.

BWS's Idea Of Beer Categories

You want a good slapping with a wet hop flower for ever looking at that. ! WTF are you thinking.

Batz

Batz said:
You want a good slapping with a wet hop flower for ever looking at that. ! WTF are you thinking.

Batz
Geez Batz - are you trying to drag this thread back on track????

Good luck :p

winkle said:
Geez Batz - are you trying to drag this thread back on track????

Good luck :p
Hahaha yeah this thread went so far of track it needs a winch and the hubs locked

Last year while on a training course in Sydney Myself and a workmate went to a steakhouse.

Food was great and after eyeing all the megaswil on tap i spied LCPA pint size bottles in the fridge.

Keep em commin i said :)

Just a few bottles of something nice in the fridge was all it took to make my night

Back