Buying A New Brew Kit Good Buy!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keef12345

Reaction score
Went to my local Bunnings store today and they sell
25 ltr water containers that look like micro brew kits. Nice and round holds a normal 23 ltr kit no dramas with a good gap up top.
Hard plastic container with great sealing lid with rubber O ring.

And if you want a tap on bottom its $1.18 extra (nice easy bottling)
The container is $14.00 when compared to a cooper or tooheys micro brew starter kits that are anywhere from $80 its insane....

I then got the handy drill put a hole in the lid and placed a gromet in the hole.

Went to the local brew store got an air lock banged that in, it seals great no air leaks!!!

Im so happy with it wanted to let the forum know about it.

All up including air lock tap and gromet cost $20.00

Nice.

Happy brewing to everyone!

Good move Keef. Food grade is the way to go. You can never have too many fermenters.

After you have been brewing a while, everywhere you go, you find stuff that can be put to good use as brew gear.

Hard rubbish collections, garage sales, hardware shops, plumbing suppliers, welding shops and bottle recycling areas are all good pickings. Also, if you have a decent scrap metal recyclers, they have good stuff.

And if you want a tap on bottom its $1.18 extra (nice easy bottling)
The container is $14.00 when compared to a cooper or tooheys micro brew starter kits that are anywhere from $80 its insane....

To be fair though, those starter kits come with a lot more than just a plastic barrel and tap. B)

Good move Keef. Food grade is the way to go. You can never have too many fermenters.

After you have been brewing a while, everywhere you go, you find stuff that can be put to good use as brew gear.

Hard rubbish collections, garage sales, hardware shops, plumbing suppliers, welding shops and bottle recycling areas are all good pickings. Also, if you have a decent scrap metal recyclers, they have good stuff.

Speaking of garage sales , went to one yesterday and pickup a brand new coopers kit (unopened ) for $10 .Couldn't get my wallet out fast enough . SWHMBO thinks we're giving it away as a xmas gift . Not likely.

To be fair though, those starter kits come with a lot more than just a plastic barrel and tap. B)

yes they come with a coopers lager and a adjunct mix
a hydrometer and a thermometer (which cost about $15.00)

I cant see why you would waste 100 on a kit

Anyone its more fun building your own

Speaking of garage sales , went to one yesterday and pickup a brand new coopers kit (unopened ) for $10 .Couldn't get my wallet out fast enough . SWHMBO thinks we're giving it away as a xmas gift . Not likely.

Garage sales are great you never know what you ll find

The Morgans kits come with all of that, plus 30 PET bottles, sanitizer, detergent as well. You're right, Coopers and Tooheys sound like a ripoff.

yes they come with a coopers lager and a adjunct mix
a hydrometer and a thermometer (which cost about $15.00)

Anyone its more fun building your own

Reread my comment , it was only 10 bucks for the whole kit ,fermenter bottles etc.

Hey keef which bunnings? I knew I was supposed to be getting something else when I was there today.

They are not really that much though are they?
I'm sure I've seen the coopers kit for around $60 at BigW.
It's a pretty good deal for a beginner that wants everything in one box, including the 30 PET bottles, and they can start right away.
The included video with Paul Mercurio is also a big help for people just starting out.

Awesome i might buy one for a secondary or for batch priming Thanks Keef

Hey keef which bunnings? I knew I was supposed to be getting something else when I was there today.

Im guessing any bunnings store

This was the glendale store nsw newcastle

I would call before I went there and ask for a 25 lt container

here is a pic Im doing a sparkling ale
as you can see it seals good my air lock has foam in it.

They are not really that much though are they?
I'm sure I've seen the coopers kit for around $60 at BigW.
It's a pretty good deal for a beginner that wants everything in one box, including the 30 PET bottles, and they can start right away.
The included video with Paul Mercurio is also a big help for people just starting out.

But making your own fermenter....half the fun! And honestly half the stuff in the micro kits I d buy from the local brew shop bloke
(like thermomiter and hydrometer) which alot of old brewers dont use...and a video who does that its so 80's vhs.

Ok, so it should be a DVD but it's still helpful for those that want to brew and have no idea.

It is a DVD now, the VHS ones are old versions, although I still think its the same ol footage.

I've done both the bunnings thing and the coopers kits, now that I am "in the know" its easy enough to do my own but when starting out the all in one coopers kits are good value at around $60 IMO.

I think people have misunderstood my point in this post. I was not comparing micro kits from coopers tooheys etc. I was making the forum aware of a good deal for a fermenter. This forum is a great spot for new comers to find information like this (equipment specials etc) I hope i have not offended anyone too much...

Back