Buying A Kegerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've got a good point blackbock. I mean i just leapt into buying mine without doing any research which is the only way i buy anything really, then work it out from there. I'm extremely happy with my keggerator now it's running properly. My minimal fuss option ended up as a fair fuss result due entirely to my lack of research about it first.

along the gas bottle thing though, soda stream gas is suiting me just fine right now I even force the occasional keg when an emergency happens, like when i run out of ready beer. But keeping a full spare is the only way to use them.

you could get a keg or 2, some beer/gas line, disconnects, a sodastream gas bottle adapter and 1 or 2 bronco taps

soda stream gas is more expensive to use but cheaper to setup ($38 per bottle and $12 per refill unless the price has gone up) and if you use a bronco tap then no fridge mod required.

You can then add the more expensive items later as your budget (or swmbo permission) becomes available

Now you have given me bad ideas.......

Temptation to get myself setup with a 4 keg purchase and 2 broncos, buy a fridge and then later on convert to cellis....

The most expensive item is still buying a gas bottle.

Pollux dont be greedy... you can wait I had too :icon_cheers:

Three more sleeps to keg day three more sleeps ....

I can be greedy......

This idea is just a way to swing it with the missus and then I'll suddenly have cellis and she won't know. That's the plan.

Have decided to build my own setup after hearing the hassles people have had with a ready to go setup, defeats the object really!
I reckon it'll be more rewarding to go DIY and set it up as I want it. Now, just gotta weigh up chest fridge versus upright....

Thanks all, will keep u posted

I can be greedy......

This idea is just a way to swing it with the missus and then I'll suddenly have cellis and she won't know. That's the plan.

Hi Pollux,

I like your plan :icon_cheers:

As for me... my Minister for Domestic Affairs loves Stout, so all I had to do was point out that Gold Celli's were specially made to pour Stout and I got instant approval for celli's :super: Research pays with some carefully constructed wording. Kegerator

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

DIP

I brought a Kegerator from my LHBS cause I prefer to have a point of return if I have a problem, although I have heard good things about pinnacle wholesalers.

It came with 2 second hand cornys all disconnects reg and full gas bottle for $1300.

I've been very happy with it but can't comment on long term use yet as only had it a month.

The gas bottle is a my keg on legs type 2.3Kg and you swap them at the HBS for $30 and there's no rent on them the inital bottle cost around $220 if you were to bye it on its own. A guy at work tells me that these should last close to 6 months depending on the amount of beer you drink.

The only thing with the kegerator is the font gets slightly warmer than the fridge and cause's your first beer to come out quite heady, but I'm working on fixing this. See [topic="31251"]Link[/topic]

I've decided to go ahead and build my kegerator, which is probably best as I didn't really have the cash needed for a ready built one, so this way I can buy bits as and when I can sneak the cash out of the joint account! I am going for a font style setup and have bought a kit from Pinnacle which I will extract the useful bits from and resell the rest probably back on ebay.

The kit is below, I am going to use the regulator, 2 way gas connector, pipes, clips, and depending cash situation I may be forced to go down the soda stream route. As I plan to use 19 litre Cornelius kegs I won't need the CUB Barrell connectors.

kitfinish.jpg

I don't want to build anything too mental or technical for my first kegerator (yes, I'm sure this won't be my only attempt!) so am thinking of mounting on a bar fridge rather than a freezer and having the extra spend and work fitting temp. controllers etc. And I would also like to be able to stick it on a trolley with wheels so that it can join by the barbie at the weekend so another reason to go with this option.

How easy is it to fit two cornies in a fridge of this sort; are they easy to find in this size? Does anyone have any other ideas for options based around this kit. Space is not an issue, money is! I have no kegging equipment just yet so I'm not limited by current equipment.

Thanks in advance, I'm off to choose between an Irish Stout (Guiness clone) and a Pilsner ;)

DIP

Forgot to mention. I bought this kegerator kit purely because I managed to get it at a great price rather than anything else. The taps are pressure adjustable so saves balancing the setup as normal and the whole lot cost about $180.

Cheers,
DIP

Forgot to mention. I bought this kegerator kit purely because I managed to get it at a great price rather than anything else. The taps are pressure adjustable so saves balancing the setup as normal and the whole lot cost about $180.

Cheers,
DIP

DIP,
where did you get it from? at that price it's seems very good value?

DIP,

Pinnacle wholesalers, via ebay. Normally sells for $280 with a buy it now sale, but I was lucky on an auction... not to mention patient waiting for the right sale! They have about 2 a week on there if you have a look MM.

Cheers,

DIP,

They also do full kegerators including a similar set of gear for AUD$550

I got mine for about $650 delivered all I needed to buy was the CO2 and the corny keg fittings. It included a nice looking 2 tap font and two celi tap knock offs. Enough hose for two kegs and a CO2 reg (seems like the cheap model seen in most LHBS). Can't go wrong IMO.

I got a kegerator from Pinnacle recently. It's been up and running for two weeks.

One word - awesome!!

The pint glasses are getting a real workout, I can tell you.

Got my corny kegs of ebay, from 'The Kegging Company'. Great to deal with, super bloke. Very highly recommended.

No affiliation, by the way. Just stoked with my set up!

I got a kegerator from Pinnacle recently. It's been up and running for two weeks.

One word - awesome!!

The pint glasses are getting a real workout, I can tell you.

Got my corny kegs of ebay, from 'The Kegging Company'. Great to deal with, super bloke. Very highly recommended.

No affiliation, by the way. Just stoked with my set up!

Good to hear, you're loving it mate! If I had the cash I may well have gone for one too.
So, any pearls of wisdom on my keg fridge build then? Advice and ideas would be great!\\

Cheers,
DIP

Good to hear, you're loving it mate! If I had the cash I may well have gone for one too.
So, any pearls of wisdom on my keg fridge build then? Advice and ideas would be great!\\

Cheers,
DIP

Don't tell your friends, they will never leave otherwise ;)

Love my kegerator .. so easy to set up and enjoy
I got mine from Pinnacle as well
But i also noticed their kegerators on Ebay were going for an average of $500 so i rang em up and asked if they would just match that for me and they agreed.. Saved me the heartache of waiting around hoping to pick up a decent price of Ebay

Tom

Love my kegerator .. so easy to set up and enjoy
I got mine from Pinnacle as well
But i also noticed their kegerators on Ebay were going for an average of $500 so i rang em up and asked if they would just match that for me and they agreed.. Saved me the heartache of waiting around hoping to pick up a decent price of Ebay

Tom

Good one, like yer style!

I bought a "My Kegs On Legs" gas bottle. Was about $300, and I "own" it (think it is 6.8kg). Costs about $50 to swap over.

At the time I thought that that was the cheapest option over the long run, as hiring a bottle was around $120ish (a year) when I looked. HOWEVER, I have noticed that at my HBS, there is a better option if space is not a problem. The standard size hire bottles are around $130 (or something like that) a year. But they also have a HUGE one for a yearly hire of about $22!!! It is double the size (not real easy to move around probably), but it would last bloody ages. This is the CHEAPEST option to get gas for a kegging system.

I ended up buying one of these:
http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=7216

It has been great! I did it rather than making one as I didn't understand all the fittings, and whatnot... Also, I figured it should be cheaper to run, and it is tiny, but still fits 3 corny kegs, or a 50 liter cub keg (haven't actually tried this though).

Back