Burners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manaen

Reaction score
I know this topic has been up a few times but ...

I want to upgrade from partials to AG and the main thing I need is a better burner. Currently I use a single ring wok burner that is part of my bbq. This has been fine for boiling 15L a little slow but ok.

No I want to start doing full wort boils but as cheaply as possible. The local camping store has 3 ring burners for about $48 or 4 ring for $110 .. can I get away with using just a 3 ring burner (and the reg+hose off bbq) to boil 30L? Would I be wasting my time and just get a NASA? If the 3 ring will do it but taking at extra 5-10 mins I don't care .. but if we are talking a longer timeframe I may have to order something.

I guess the main thing with the nasa and duckbill burners is you need a stand, where as the kettle can sit straight onto a 3 or 4 ring burner.

What do you guys think? 3 ring? 4 ring? nasa? duckbill?

anyone?

Gameco wok burners come with a stand, i'm pretty sure the nasa's do too.

I've got the Gameco Wok Kit (burner + hose & reg) and am very happy with it.
Was $115.00 (i think) shipped to my work.

manaen said:
can I get away with using just a 3 ring burner (and the reg+hose off bbq) to boil 30L?
[post="105479"][/post]​

Yes. A 3 ring burner will easily boil 30L. It may not blast you to the boil in record time, but it will do the trick pretty effectively. I've seen one in action (I use an immersion element myself) and I was quite impressed. If I went to gas I would probably go the 3-ring burner. They are cheap, readily available and don't require regs etc to be any different to those on your bbq.

Of course, if a 3-ring burner happily boils 30L, a NASA will do it even easier again, but as you say, a little extra time doesn't sound like its a drastic issue.

i use a 3 ring...and in the wind yesterday morning i got my 30L wort going in about 30 minutes i think... i was slowly heating during sparge too. I need to sort out a good wind protector!
But i am just cleaning fermenters and mash tuns during this time anyways. :D

Latest posts

Back