Burners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gormand

Reaction score
Im going to be moving into AG in the near future and need to purchse a burner. Initially Im planning on getting one of those 19l stockpots from Big W everyones talking about and doing 10L batches (Might do 2 sometimes to make a 23l batch) Ive got a handle on most of the gear I need but just wondering what people recommend burner wise, Im planning on getting a gas one (Should be able to use my BBQ gas right?) and want it to be able to move up to a 40-50L pot eventually, but it will never need to go bigger then that.

So what should I be looking at? Size, ratings, brands, place of purchase etc.
hoping to go to bunnings tonight/on the weekend to look at cubes and burners. Maybe not to buy yet but at leastto get an idea of cost and such.

I guess also whats the best place to buy cubes (10&20l ones) for no chill?

ive got the spiral burner with medium pressure reg from beerbelly and it has done up to 100L batches. wouldn't recommend anything else

Your stove top should have enough grunt for half batches like that, but will struggle if you move to full batches. So at least you can get started straight away.

I only do half and single batches, so I can't comment on what you would need once you start your double batches (especially since my system is electric!).

For your cubes, Bunnings or any of the big camping stores (BCF, Anaconda etc).

I've used the wok burner on the bbq for 15L boils in the 19L big W pot with no worries. Also have a 3-ring burner which provided a lot more heat. I'd recommend one of them. Then when you go full size (or double batch) you'll just need an adjustable MP reg.

You other option is an immersion heater

A 2400W heat stick or 2200W through the side element may be a little much for a 10L batch

But if you can get away with a stove top boil until you move to bigger batches I would hold off and go electric

Cheers

If you want cube-cubes, these guys are pretty cheap and do small orders
http://peopleinplastic.com.au/

bunnings is more likely willow jerry can style things, not that it particularly matters

You can get Willow 20L jerrys which hold 23L pretty much anywhere... K-mart were the cheapest when I bought my last one.

Another alternative, go to a nice LHBS and ask if you can pick up some of their Fresh Wort Kit Empties... 2$ deposit? They hold 17L or of Hot Wort, which can be made over gravity to give you a full 20L in the fermenter... And that would mean using maxi-biab you could do a full batch with your 19L pot! and then use a single FWK empty to cube the entire batch

Re burners... if you have a good domestic stove, or a wok burner on your bbq, that should be fine... hell you could probably just put the pot on the bbq with two or one burners going...

that'll get you going *now*

after that, for a 50L I would suggest a beefy burner and regulator.

The Medium Pressure Variable Regulator from BeerBelly is awesome, and will make even a wimpy 2 ring burner boil 50L.

You could get a 3 ring burner for the 50L from a camping store...

But I would go for the ferrari option and get the Italian Spiral Burner... its nice when you have a piece of Quality Equipment, and it is fantastic.

As the owner of a 50L pot, I would suggest you get a 70L pot if you want a 50L pot ;)

50L is great for 30L brews. Not so good for 40 or 45L brews.

Go the Rambo its a great burner. Yes it may seem expensive but it comes complete with the braided hose, regulator and piezo(? spelling) starter. I am a tight arse and this burner is the most expensive part of my dodgy brewery, but well worth the money. Well that is until the perastaltic pump turns up but dont tell the misses ;) .

Cheers

+1 on the Rambo.
(And as a bonus, who knows - one day you may need to reach low-earth orbit)

Like Stux said, if you want a 50L pot then get a 70L pot. I have 70L pot envy too.

I love my spiral burner but would love to see a rambo in action.

Rambo's have recently come down in price (in some stores ;) ) with the dollar, a great buy for a complete set up.

cheers Ross

Rambo's have recently come down in price (in some stores ;) ) with the dollar, a great buy for a complete set up.

cheers Ross

+1 for the Rambo... an absolute beast. My pre-boil is typically 41L and once drained to kettle i'm up an rolling boil in around 15min. Usually before sparge is complete.

Back