Burners In Brisbane?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fits straight on the burner , in the full size pic you can see how I have used a grinder on the outside lugs.

I made them so the keg sits down on the burner , very stable

Batz

Doc said:
If it is the one from Globe Imports, then it holds up just fine.
I've had 47 litres in the boiler on top of it many many times.

Beers,
Doc
[post="64461"][/post]​

Don't doubt it Doc. :) However while I was being inventive and on a roll I thought I'd hedge my bets a little. The Cast iron rails I put together on the frame holds the boiler very snugly with no movement whatsoever. I've got them sitting 70cm from the ground. This allows a nice drain height to the carboys.

Now what I'm about to build is another set of cast iron rails about 40cm + or - 1cm or so lower to hold the burner itself. This will also allow me to (somehow) remove the burner just before chilling (I use an immersion chiller).

I suspect that NASA + immersion chiller will protract the cooling time somewhat due to the entrained heat of the burner/frame/boiler bottom etc. My plan was to maybe spray the underneath of the boiler lightly with some water to cool the metal down a little.

If this doesn't work that well (sure there's other NASA & immersion chiller users) I'll probably go the C/F chiller route.

When it's finished later this week/earlier next week I'll post some pics to better emphasise what I mean.

Sorry about the hijack. :)

Warren -

warrenlw63

The radiant heat retained by my four ring burner was a real hassle using my old immersion chiller.
You will find with the NASA after you whirlpool (I cover and leave 20 min)
the burner is cool enough to touch.

Batz

Gday Batz,
Yes i know what you mean with the 'flame going up the sides of the keg' but i must say mine has never done this.
My keg (cooprz) fits right on top of those lugs, so its stable and i think its a good height off the flame. I also boil inside my garage, so no need for the wind-break.

Looking at your pic of the wind-break around the burner, i wonder if you are getting enough oxygen to the flame, thus causing it to 'yellow flame' up the sides when it was cranking?
If my burner ever dies on me, i would look at the nasa, as it gets big raps
Anyway, as long as we all get a bloody good rolling boil !
Cheers
:beerbang:

Batz said:
warrenlw63

The radiant heat retained by my four ring burner was a real hassle using my old immersion chiller.
You will find with the NASA after you whirlpool (I cover and leave 20 min)
the burner is cool enough to touch.

Batz
[post="64529"][/post]​

Thought so Batz. That's why I factored in being able to remove the burner at flame-out on my new stand. Particularly during summer. I think that cooling with an immersion chiller would be next to impossible with the radiant heat sitting underneath.

That's why I plan to remove the burner and spray the bottom of the keg and the rails with water to bring things down while chilling.

C/F chiller is a last resort. I like the control that immersion chillers give you before running to the fermenter.

Now to find some asbestos gloves. :unsure:

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Now what I'm about to build is another set of cast iron rails about 40cm + or - 1cm or so lower to hold the burner itself. This will also allow me to (somehow) remove the burner just before chilling (I use an immersion chiller).

I suspect that NASA + immersion chiller will protract the cooling time somewhat due to the entrained heat of the burner/frame/boiler bottom etc. My plan was to maybe spray the underneath of the boiler lightly with some water to cool the metal down a little.

Warren -
[post="64525"][/post]​

Warren, I use an immersion chiller too and always spray cold water on the outside of the boiler prior to chilling the wort. This tip was passed on to me by Dicko and it saves some time for sure.

C&B
TDA

The spraying idea is a good tip. Thanks fellas.

I use an immersion chiller as well but as I'm only brewing 23 litre batches at the moment am able to lift my keg off the burner and away to a cooler spot for chilling. Haven't had any time probs really, except related to water temp in the height of summer.

Shawn.

I have three of the little darlings and sit my 50 litre kettle on them with no dramas.

They were nicknamed the NASA burner by someone here in Adelaide after a brewday here at my place. They are slightly louder than brewing with an electric heat stick but much safer.

Ask for Anthony at Globe imports on Magill road here in Adealide.

No association blah, blah .......... :)

Steve

brewday.jpg

sluggerdog said:
Hey Batz, with the pic you have there, could you put the keg straight onto the burner or would you need to build some sort of stand like you have to hold the keg?

Slugger, IMHO I reckon that you should persevere a little & get the NASA. :beerbang: Better off in the long run. Hope to meet you at Batz's Big Brewday if you can make it? :D :D

Sorry to hi-jack the thread (again)... ;)

Has anybody sourced these NASA burners in Sydney or Newcastle?
I reckon I could do with one too.

I've recently been relegated out of the kitchen (since SWMBO stopped working every 2nd Sat and discovered what I was actually doing :eek: ) and I now have to use the gas bbq outback... yeah I know it's uncool, but I'm sure nearly everybody has thought about it at one stage or another.

I removed one of the cook plates, made a couple of S/S brackets and the pot sits nicely over 2 of the bare burners but it takes forever to bring to the boil.
1.5 hrs to boil 29L from cold (20C) and when it's windy the flame blows out :angry:
The 4 burner bbq is marked as 50Mj so I guess 2 burners = 25Mj which is a bit on the wimpy side.
Holds a rolling boil ok though and you can always char up a bit of dead cow alongside if you get peckish. :beerbang:

shmick said:
[post="64621"][/post]​

sosman recommended Gameco to me but I'd already ordered mine from Globe Imports in Adelaide.
Gameco's website is here and they have a Sydney office.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
shmick said:
[post="64621"][/post]​

sosman recommended Gameco to me but I'd already ordered mine from Globe Imports in Adelaide.

Beers,
Doc
[post="64622"][/post]​

Thanks Doc
I might have to pay them a visit next time I'm down that way.

Doc said:
shmick said:
[post="64621"][/post]​

[post="64622"][/post]​
Just so there is no confusion... The burners referred to as "NASA burners" are turkey fryers. Both the NASA and the Gameco burners run from a high pressure regulator and are high output but their construction is quite different. I posted a pic of mine somewhere and there are pics of the NASA burners about. They both presumably have their pro's and cons.

What I like about the gameco unit is that it has a pilot light and the gas controls are 300 mm away from the centre of the flame, putting them well outside the keg's rim. I have heard that the nasa burners put you a little closer to the flame (hence my crack about the welding gloves - related to me by a proud nasa owner) but to be fair, I have never seen one up close and personal. OTOH some people like the nasa stand.

I just rang Gameco today and the guy said the only high pressure burners they have are the wok burners, and they sell for $85 plus $66 for the HP regulator and $10 for the hose. this doesn't sound right as someone posted that they had HP regs for under $20 recently.

can you just get a 4 ring burner and hook up a HP regulator?

I'm really confused now

Coodgee said:
I just rang Gameco today and the guy said the only high pressure burners they have are the wok burners, and they sell for $85 plus $66 for the HP regulator and $10 for the hose. this doesn't sound right as someone posted that they had HP regs for under $20 recently.

can you just get a 4 ring burner and hook up a HP regulator?

I'm really confused now
[post="65713"][/post]​

Coodgee, Don't get a wok burner - from my experience they give out good heat but a bugger when you try to use them on low heat...

I need one like yours Ross. that worked a treat!! I'm happy not to get a wok burner, just a HP ring burner will do me fine.

I'm just frustrated by the unhelpful sales guy at gameco that answered all my questions with either a yes, no or just a grunt. I hope they are open tomorrow, I'll have to go down there and have a look

thanks again for the great day yesterday Ross, the AWOL people missed a great day!

Coodgee - they aren't open on the weekends. Strange, when i went in i got great service, maybe they were doing stocktake today and were too busy?

Hey Ross, that burner I got off you, is it the same as your currect one? I tried my first Full AG and found it near impossible to get a rolling boil...

???

Latest posts

Back